OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

So we recently had a birthday party for our now 5 year old and apparently some donuts got forgotten outside. Came home from work the next day to this. I guess chickens like donuts just as much as the rest of us.

Attachments

• WP_20170725_013.jpg
    WP_20170725_013.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 13
I had posted in the Breeder and exhibition thread and it was suggested I post my questions here in the Ohio thread. We are looking for breeders of exhibition quality poultry in Ohio.

My daughter has been showing poultry for 2 years at the county fair. Her first year she placed 1st in production hens. This year what I would consider non production birds were favored. We are trying to learn how to be competitive and the number one tip we have gotten is not to buy hatchery birds, second was to get solid colored birds so they aren't DQ'd for color. Now we are in the search of birds to use in production and fancy categories that are a single color. The only breeder that we are aware of in our area sold us some mottled bantam cochins that were far from SOP. He raved about how good his birds were and how people were coming from other states to get them. This was our fault for being trusting and not knowing the SOP. We will be ordering the SOP book soon so we are better educated next time. Anyone know of reputable breeders in Ohio? We are planning on going to the Ohio National Show in November but I am afraid we will be overwhelmed by the selection. Any tips for getting started showing and breeding appreciated.

Last edited:
I had posted in the Breeder and exhibition thread and it was suggested I post my questions here in the Ohio thread. We are looking for breeders of exhibition quality poultry in Ohio.

My daughter has been showing poultry for 2 years at the county fair. Her first year she placed 1st in production hens. This year what I would consider non production birds were favored. We are trying to learn how to be competitive and the number one tip we have gotten is not to buy hatchery birds, second was to get solid colored birds so they aren't DQ'd for color. Now we are in the search of birds to use in production and fancy categories that are a single color. The only breeder that we are aware of in our area sold us some mottled bantam cochins that were far from SOP. He raved about how good his birds were and how people were coming from other states to get them. This was our fault for being trusting and not knowing the SOP. We will be ordering the SOP book soon so we are better educated next time. Anyone know of reputable breeders in Ohio? We are planning on going to the Ohio National Show in November but I am afraid we will be overwhelmed by the selection. Any tips for getting started showing and breeding appreciated.

http://www.cedarcrestfarmandfeed.com has great quality fancy chickens! Really awesome feed too. They are located in Kirtland Hills, OH.

Got my first duck eggs and chickens are doing great since the move. They never even stopped laying! Haven't been on much due to no cell phone service at house and being super busy getting all straight. Will have internet installed Thursday but very slow service due to being so rural. I'll get pics and update everyone as soon as I get settled better. Thanx for all the help and support!

Hello Ohio!
I am new to this cite and so happy to learn more! I wanted to ask all you wonderful people what i should do. My family and I bought 8 chickens in march. We wanted hens because we are so close to neighbours, we didnt want to be rude with roosters crowing.
Well, we ended up with 2 Dominique roosters. I understand when buying chicks its never guaranteed. We have raised them and love them. I do not want to give away to be eaten. I want to find a good home for the 2 roosters. What do I do? Does anyone want or know anyone who would love these guys? They do not fight w one another and one is a crower to be honest.
Thank you for any and all suggestions and help!

Back
Top Bottom