Ok-- a little help needed here

BowCHICKIEWowWow

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Let me start off by saying, we know NOTHING about ducks. I'm a chicken person.

Well, either a baby got left behind, or someone assumed since we had chickens that we could deal with a duck, because somebody abandoned a duckling on our property. We brought him in and had a devil of a time getting him to "find the food and water" at first, but now he's eating and drinking well. We have him in a little miniature brooder box with the general setup we'd have for chicks, is that good for ducks as well?

The biggest concern is that it appears that he may have a deformity. His wings are clearly not the same size. I don't know if thats normal or not, but I'm assuming not.

I need all the baby duck tips and things y'all can tell me--- I know chicks, not ducks.

welcome-byc.gif

I dont know anything about ducks either, but folks here are pretty helpful.

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of Ducklings :)
Here's what I do for my ducklings. I have a heat lamp above the brooder, a little dish (usually a lid from a mayo jar ( I place wet mushy chick start feed in this)if it's just one duckling, and a bit of a larger dish filled with fresh water (the duckling needs water and needs to be able to clear his/her nostrils with it), be warned, ducklings will make a mess with the water, they can't help themselves :) I line the brooder with puppy pee pads, and directly under the light I lay a soft facecloth for them to use as a bed. Near the bed I stick a mirror so baby duck doesn't get lonely. Within a few days I start to give treats such as frozen peas once a day. Hope that helps.

Michelle

Last edited:
Do you have any idea what kind of duckling it may be?? I was wondering as knowing if it was a domestic breed or wild breed may help some people to give you the right information. If not... Is it yellow- or brown with stripes on its face?? Also Does it have any feathers coming through yet- You said it wings were different sizes so I was just trying to work out how old it might be as well.

For now- if you have it set up in a brooder with a heat source some food and water- you are doing the right thing for the little one. Ducks need water deep enough to wash its face and eyes in - And they can tend to make a brooder very messy because of it. As far as feed goes - its best to give it non- medicated chick stater if you have any but Amprolium medicated feed is ok too.

Quote:
lau.gif

Anyways, answers to duckyfromoz's question would help out a lot. They need the same set up for a brooder as chickens do, heat, water, and food. Make sure the water dish is deap enough for them to put there face in and keep it full. Ducklings need water to swallow there food. Pics would be great.

And
welcome-byc.gif

To be honest, it looks a lot like the ducks at the duck pond at the college 6 miles up the road.

His underbelly is yellow. On top he is brown with yellow spots. I haven't actually SEEN the bird to verify his wing condition-- I'm in Phoenix on business and my DH is the one trying to deal with the duck, so all I have are some pictures he's snapped with his Iphone. He is saying that the wings look off.

I had told him to put the baby in the brooder with food and water (didn't know about the need for a deep dish). DH says the baby drinks fine on its own, but only eats if they point out the food to him by swirling some around in a little water (also makes me think he may be from the college).

He can't be more than a couple weeks old, if that. Still fits in the palm of my 15 year olds hand. Still fluffy butt, no real feathers in yet. DH says he swims fine in the sink, but makes zero attempts to fly. Jumps around and thats about it. I had him put a small stuffed animal in the brooder with him, I assume ducks get lonely like solo chicks do.

From the pictures I see on this forum, it looks to be maybe a Mandarin? I can't get the pics to upload. Can't be more than a week or so old, he is just tiny.

Maybe he got his wing caught in something and got separated from his mother and siblings. What a great DH to be looking after the little one..

I'm pretty sure he got separated. It really wouldn't surprise me to learn that he was a hatchling this week, he's that small and fluffy.

yellow underbelly with a brown back and yellow spot, like 4 yellow spots? If so it sounds like a mallard or a rouen. All of mine have yellow bellies, brown backs and 4 yellow spots on their backs. stripes by the eyes are a good indicator too. If kept as a pet then a deformed wing shouldn't cause him much distress, he just won't be able to fly, which most domestic ducks can't anyway. However if you were thinking or releasing him into the wild at some point I would advise you contact a wildlife preserve or something of that nature because if he can't fly he won't survive long in the wild. I put a quart waterer on a dessert plate to help keep the mess in check and feed mine non-medicated chick starter for the first few weeks. Warm and dry are the big issues, and you're right, he will likely be lonely so a stuffed animal is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom