ok...Bob question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fowlman33, Dec 7, 2011.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    I have my birds separated....roos and hens. shouldn't they be getting along a little better than they are right now? there is no breeding and no males to fight. BUt they seem to be rather aggressive regardless of what one is doing, they are just mean a-- little birds...but I sure do love them !!!

Hate to think what it is going to be like come spring of the year !!!

2. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    btw...also looking for a larger breed of Bobs....what would you go with (georgia giants or Butler) ??

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    There is absolutely NO advantage of "completely seperating male and female Bobwhites", no matter what time of the year. Come spring, when the reproduction era starts, most will use descretion on the male-to-female ratio to keep the battle of dominance at a minimum. Other than that, again, you gain nothing in seperating males from females. Put all the ladies together, and if one has a problem with another (or several) "just because", the bout will happen. Put all the fellas together, and if one has a problem with another (or several) "just because", the bout will happen........PERIOD!

4. ncfarm2012

ncfarm2012 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Reidsiville, NC
    We have ours in the same cage all the time. Pecking doesn't stop if they are separated. There is a product...I think it is called Black Tar...it is for chickens but can be used on our dear quail too. It's hard because you have to catch them and paint the paste on them but I would rather catch them than have them peck each other to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by