Ok BYC need help with duck

Kung Foo Chicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
Upstate, South Carolina
My uncle gave me me two eggs to hatch from his friend's pond (for my niece and nephew). They were set under a broody hen. One duck hatched perfectly fine. The second one not so well. I looked yesterday and it had pipped and today I found it had pushed it's head though and one wing outside the egg. Problem though is that it seems a little premature with blood vessels around the membrane.

This doesn't stop there because it is still trying to climb on out of the egg. When it does this though and pushes more of the shell off there is a little blood. I have no idea as I have never hatched ducks.

I moved it indoors to the incubator for fear the hen would injure it.

I am not sure I have heard of them doing that and being okay but I am really clueless on hatching ducks.

Drop a PM to Terrilacy the administrator she is fabulous with ducks and geese, she is on early mornings and throughout the day and evening. Make sure she sees your post. She can tell you what to do.

Good luck with the duckie.

Thanks Cetawin. I let it sit overnight and checked just now and the blood vessels were gone with the little thing kinda hopping around with an egg bottom half. I dabbed a little water on a piece of stuck membrane and the little duckie hopped on out of the shell and is looking well. Guessing it was too anxious to come on out!

This turned out well. They are the eggs of Pekin ducks that had been breeding with the wild mallards. My niece and nephew wanted ducks so looks like I'll have two.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yay!
clap.gif
Excellent. Now we need pictures...we must have pictures...we absolutely must have pics of the new babies.

aww so cute! i love hearing successful hatching stories way to go! tonight you can put that baby under the broody when is sleeping if you want her to raise both so this little guy isn't lonely

Back
Top Bottom