Ok... could really use some advice! Lost chicken, found!

I say keep her. If she was running around in a condo she is more prone to preditors including humans than with you. Keep her safe and happy. She just got a little confused when she strayed.
I like happy endings.

Awww! Keep her! What a lucky thing, to have found her after all this time.
smile.png

Thanks everyone!
smile.png

Here they are this morning, reunited:
2011-07-13_08-04-26_163.jpg

She doesn't seem to have any interest in leaving again. I really do think she just got a little lost before, and couldn't find her way back. She's not emaciated thin, so thankfully someone has been feeding her. I'm just not sure what! She's very shiny so I'm thinking it could've been some sort of cat/dog food since it's so much more oily than regular feed. Hopefully she will lay for me, like Hoot is
smile.png
I'll have to keep a look out for brown eggs in addition to my green ones!
Unfortunately, we're renting so I can't do much building wise to keep her in. We recently got a new landlord who plans on fencing in the front yard finally. (Keeping my fingers crossed! - Just have to hope he doesn't have anything against my chickens).
I plan on keeping her, since she seems comfortable and happy here. If someone posts signs for her, I'll let them know I have her. Other than that, you all are right, she's my chicken. She was out roaming the neighborhood, and she's much safer here.

You don't have to build anything to keep them contained. For my chicks that are just getting introduced to the "great outdoors", I put them in a wire dog crate with bottom tray pulled out. They are protected, and I can move the thing around to fresh grass, shade, etc. as needed.

What a happy story and I know you've decided to keep her, but I wanted to shake you and scream "keep her"
tongue.png

My RIR looked like a rooster for a long time, but most that I've seen do!
Her tail didn't look rooish to me, but I will agree she is very shiny!
Hopefully she'll stay home and lay some eggs!
So happy that you found your bird. That's amazing after that much time.

Back
Top Bottom