Ok...day 18...**Total Loss**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mangled, Apr 9, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

...and I've pretty much convinced myself these eggs are not going to hatch. [​IMG] There was so much trouble during incubation, I just feel they're definitely duds.
    Only trouble is, they're so dark, EE eggs, that the only thing I can see is a well defined air cell, and the rest of the eggs is solid black.
    So, the humidity is up, it was 63% the last time I checked, and they're out of the "turner."
    So, send happy hatching thoughts our way, but like I said, I REALLY don't think they're going to hatch. [​IMG]

Hey - is there anyone that's tried using a stethoscope on an egg? I'm an old peds nurse and have one of those itty bitty heads that you use on premies and such.

I should dig it out (wherever it may be...) and see if I can hear anything.

Em

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Hey Em,

Have a little faith. I bet they are dark, b/c the embryo has grown so much. It's hard to see in the EE eggs. Hang in there! Since it's only day 18 the show is just beginning.

I'm on day 18 w/ my 2 lonley BO eggs. I've been wondering the same thing about these eggs.

Keep me posted! I'm sending good wishes your way for your hatch! [​IMG]

3. mangled

Thanks - same to you. [​IMG]

I'm down to 3 eggs, all EE. The others were bad. The two darker brown eggs had babies, but I'd say they died around day 11. [​IMG] Another got STINKY.

So, other than looking in the 'bator window every 15 seconds, we're doing OK, right? [​IMG]

Em

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Thanks! I need all the luck I can get. My first batch of shipped eggs got jiggled by the PO, so there was no development. After day 14 I gently sawed them open to find scrambled yolks on some & some had ruptured airsacs. I was soooo sad!

These BO are local from a friend. She felt sorry for me and sent 3 of them over to me on Easter weekend. Only two were fert. I was so thrilled at day 7 to see any signs of life. It made me feel better about this old incubator that I'm using.

Now the waiting game begins. [​IMG]

Have you bitten off all your fingernails yet?

5. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Tomjorrow is day 18 for me as well and I am also down to 3 eggs.# of mine were clear and the rest were maybe 7ish days and stopped growing.Last nite the 3 were still moving so I hope they hatch.

6. mangled

So, I'm laying in bed, listening to my husband SNORE and decide I may as well get up and check BYC. He usually only snores for a half hour or so, then it's safe to attempt sleep.

On my way to the computer, I stop to press my nose to the window of the incubator, only to hear a slight tapping noise.

[​IMG]

Please, oh, please, oh, PLEASE!!!! Let this be a baby starting to pip.

Em

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Le us know!!! There are people actually online at midnight, so post and tell us once u know!!!!!

8. mangled

LOL, well, it's 1:15 here, so I'll be in bed soon. Been up since 5AM.

I'm sure I won't sleep well, so I'll post when I see anything.

Em

9. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Em how exciting!!!
    I am going on day 20 and am waiting for my little ones to make there apperance. Sooo exausting being so excited! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do not worry about the eggs being dark....
    That is a GOOD sighn! [​IMG]

[​IMG] .....and the waiting begins......

10. mangled

Well, the one that actually pipped expired sometime after that. It's little beak tip was right at the hole, and it's gone. [​IMG]

My Dad called and asked if it was all right to stop over this morning for coffee, and I asked him if he still had Grandfather's old projector. He does, he brought it over this morning, and the other two eggs are a total loss.

One stopped developing I guess sometime after day 7, and the other one much more recently, maybe within the past week.

No more incubating until I get my Top Hatch. I'm too sad.

Em

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by