1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

OK!!! Dumb question......new pic added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peewee, Dec 10, 2008.

1. peewee

peewee Songster

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    This sweetie was sold to me about 3 weeks ago as a hen. The more that I look at her the more I see rooster. I have been trying to integrate her into my flock and my loverboy of a roo who loves ALL the ladies does not seem to care to have her around. [​IMG]
    She is great with my baby chicks and watches them closely when I let them out. I can't tell if she is being motherly or, if this is a roo, if he is just starting to gather his ladies at a early age.[​IMG]
    What do you guys think??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008

2. magsrags

magsrags Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    pretty bird, I hope it's a hen for you. I am the last one to make a determination.[​IMG]

3. mikarod

mikarod Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, that looks like a red sex-link cockerel.

It's got the pointy neck and saddle feathers coming in. That's a dead give-away.

Red sex-link hens should be a reddish color and the males are a white color. They are color sexed at birth.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That is a cockerel.

5. Quote:yep, that is the factor! pullets and hens will have round ended feathers on the neck and saddle.

6. Gercarson

Gercarson Chirping

Oct 13, 2008
    Sorry, but that sweetie is a cockerel.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Almost looks like a Red Pyle game roo. I don't believe it is a red sex link roo as it's ears are white.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008

8. mikarod

mikarod Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:hehehe...chickens don't have ears. lol. The ear coverts are white, but the earlobe, to me at least, looks red.

[​IMG] I shush now...lol

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i dont quite see the saddle feathers... but those neck feathers scream ROOSTER!!!!... i also thought "red pyle"

the sex-linked roosters i had were ALL white.. no other color

10. peewee

peewee Songster

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    See those neck feathers are what had me thinking more and more that she/he was a rooster. I don't see any saddle feathers coming in yet and thats what had me clinging to the belief that she was a girl. The bend in his longest tail feathers was because of being in a small box for transport. OH WELL... at least he is a very submissive roo for the moment. My big rooster hasn't tried to kill him..... yet.
    Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to hear it from other people that my sweetie was a boy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by