Ok, dumb question....

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
We're working with the pain-in-the-butt mare, sometimes known as Lucy, usually known as Lucifer the Evil One.

The trainer suggested tying her head around slightly to each side and lunging her, to work on her flexion. He said to tie from her snaffle to her cinch, but what do we use? I forgot to ask that minor detail
tongue.png

Last edited:
I AGREE with Greyhorsewoman, just use the rope.

1) stand on one side of the horse.
2) Toss the rope over her neck and go to the opposite side of the horse.
3) pick up the rope and gently glide it towards her rear end and around her haunches.
4)Gently tug at her, so she turns her rear end towards you and her head towards the pull at her back end.

She will automatically turn towards you. Get her used to that going each way then start working her more and more. She will get used to the pressure on her back end at the same time getting used to being tugged at on each side.

The thing about horses is TRUST!! If they don't trust you, it is futile to do anything more with them. They must trust you fully and you must trust them. Until you build that trust you are shooting in the dark.

Are you riding her yet or just ground work?

Edited for clarity, this did not make sense!

Last edited:
I've used the method, and I've seen several trainers use it without issue. If you choose to do so, use the rein to tie her back with. You only pull JUST enough to where the rein is straight - it's a very small amount.

What works even better, IMO, though is head-setting training gear - gosh, I can't THINK of what it's called, but it's around $100, and has several positions you can tie them in, and it encourages them to work from their hind end...they have to tuck their chins and round their back when doing so; sort of package deal!

Yes, I just don't agree with pressure on a horse when they are not willing to give. It only becomes a shoving match without the trust. that is my honest opinion. The other training aid would work. I just don't like to see a horse get stressed out by being restrained. They will give. I guess it just depends on the amount of time and effort you are willing to give. Not meaning to badmouth the training aids, I just personally don't care for them.

when you do this, do not tie her head "around" per se, but tip it to the inside just enough so that if she tries to resist, she cannot get her head pointed the other way. Also, tie a bit of string or put a curb strap on the snaffle rings so she won't pull it through her mouth. you can tie back to the cinch, or the back ring on the saddle to raise the angle of pull. Tying too low can just cause her to tuck her chin and drop her neck, not flex the way that will help anyone at all. the other thing about tying her around is do NOT let her just stand there and lean on it. You have to keep her feet in motion, preferably slow motion, walking, moving away from cues from you. Then when she gives a bit, say the W word, and as soon as she stops, release and let her relax for a bit, then tie to the other side, I sometimes just tie a bigger loop on a length of rope over the back of the saddle between the two back rings, and just flip it from one side to the next when I change sides.

I have used this method before on lots of colts but I learned what/how to do it from a trainer. I would not try this for the first time by yourself if you have never done it or seen it be done. Some horses will go backwards and flip over if tied to tight for the first time. You have to know what you are doing or you could have a big problem or have someone get hurt. Have your trainer show you how to do this then you will understand and be able to teach her how to flex.
Tina

Use baler twine if you're going to do it -- NOT THE SYNTHETIC STUFF, actual natural baler twine, and check before hand to make sure it's not overly strong. (Sometimes last years' that's been sitting around 'aging' is a bit safer).

If she busts the baler twine, it is not a job for amateurs, you need the *trainer* to work this out with her.

As for the overall issue, I gather this is just for longeing the horse. For that purpose I don't see it as terribly problematic to, essentially, 'shorten the inside siderein' while the horse is being correctly longed. However I also don't find it to be especially useful compared to other methods.

As far as tying a horse's head around while the horse is standing still (which does not seem to be what Cara is proposing but seems to be what many replies are aimed at), I don't do it and would never recommend it but OTOH I have known a few trainers who can get good results from most stock-type horses that way. Realize though that it is nothing but a time-and-labor-saving shortcut... makes sense if you have a barn or string of 15 horses to start, but if you just have a couple, I would strongly argue for doing it the right way (which is also safer and less apt to backfire, and can give a horse a much better foundation).

By 'right way' (apologies if the terminology offends, but see above) I mean standing there and using your hands and *teaching* the horse to give to pressure. Not making it give or hauling its head around but *teaching*. And then, ideally, showing the horse how to further relax and stretch and put itself into a shape that will be useful when he's working.

Good luck with your mare Cara,

Pat

Thank you to those who provided constructive advice. It went well, no fighting at all for once, and both of us remained in a good mood throughout
tongue.png

To those who didn't, I don't recall asking for personal opinions on the method. I'm not going to allow this to turn into a debate on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom