Ok...eggs per day?

farmkat55

Songster
6 Years
May 1, 2016
South Dakota
So, our little 7 month old rescue RIR hen named Cheeps...laid no less than THREE eggs yesterday! First one was about 8:30 am. We know it's her since she lives in our house till it warms up. I couldn't believe it! Then, yep she laid another egg today! I had read that 2 are a rare occurrence but 3? Anyone else have this happen?

You say she's the only chicken who could possibly have laid those eggs? My first thought is to check for any humans who like to play practical jokes. I know someone who thought it was funny to put hardboiled eggs in a nest on April Fool's Day...

If the hen really did lay those eggs, then I'm both puzzled and impressed!

Nope the other chickens are in an outside coop and attached run. Cheeps lives in the house as she was rescued as a chick in the Fall. She is still smaller than our flock hens but has been going out to visit when my husband can stay with and watch them. She has a pen with a nest box in the house right now and we plan to integrate her fully once it warms up here. I am recovering from back surgery and hubby has way too much to tend to with me and the rest of the animals plus we are isolated at home, just him and I, so no jokes! She is acting just fine too! I think she's a Superchicken!!

Pretty crazy.
Were all 3 eggs well shaped with hard shells?

Yep, I forgot to mention that they were all normal! She's been a daily layer since she started at about 18 wks and never anything other than a perfect, hard shelled brown egg! They were a little smaller in the beginning but never an odd egg and hubby says they're delish!

Back
Top Bottom