Ok for Run Litter?

Nellzmom

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2020
North Carolina
I’m going to add onto my run and have noticed a lot of recommendations for wood chips, leaf litter etc. We have several “compost” bins where we put the clippings from crepe myrtles, river birches, weeds, camellias, mowed Bermuda grass & other yard debris. We chop it into 2-4 inch pieces, but it doesn’t really decompose well because we don’t properly compost it & a lot of it is twigs. There is some horse nettle in it. I don’t use any herbacides/pesticides or treat the lawn with seed or fertilizer.

If I run all that through my small yard shredder, could I use that in the outside covered run? Would this be the same as DLM? Are these clippings safe? What about odor? BTW, I use sand in my existing 4x4 coop & attached/covered 4x8 run with no issues. I’m adding on an additional 32 square foot covered run w/1/4” HW cloth because I neglected to follow the “build it twice as big as you need” rule :rolleyes:. Thanks!

Horse nettle is in the nightshade family. Would it still be ok? I've been throwing mine in the compost. It also has thorns that can go through my gloves when the plant matures.

Horse nettle is in the nightshade family. Would it still be ok? I've been throwing mine in the compost. It also has thorns that can go through my gloves when the plant matures.
I wouldn’t because the thorns can stick their feet. Also I think I remember reading crepe myrtle is poisonous

Back
Top Bottom