Ok Genetic question!! Please help!!

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Ok so Im writing a research paper on Gregor Mendel and his contribution to genetics. I am bringing in chicken breeding but I would like to know these questions to help finish up my paper.

What is the roosters contribution to the offspring

What is the hens?

I know there are dominate and recessive colors such as a barred roo will make all barred babies vice versa.

Can someone explain the whole shabang to me?
lol.png

Thank you soo much!

Go here and play for a while. http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
I assume that you know the basics, but this will help you understand particular genes. There are some that are incompletely dominant, like silver and blue, some that are sex-linked, like chocolate and barred, and some that are pretty straightforeward. I don't know of any that are codominant. For example, you can't breed a black bird and a white bird and get a black and white bird, unless each parent is heterozygous for mottling. Look around there for a while, and if you have specific questions, try using the search function on here. Good luck.

Ok so Im writing a research paper on Gregor Mendel and his contribution to genetics. I am bringing in chicken breeding but I would like to know these questions to help finish up my paper.

What is the roosters contribution to the offspring

What is the hens?

I know there are dominate and recessive colors such as a barred roo will make all barred babies vice versa.

Can someone explain the whole shabang to me?
lol.png

Thank you soo much!
Actually that is not quite accurate. A barred father may or may not give barring to all his offspring; it depends on whether he has one or two copies of the gene. If two copies, the statement is accurate, but if only one, only about half his offspring will receive the gene, and there will be no gender discrimination involved. On the other hand, a barred hen will give barring to ALL her sons and to NONE of her daughters.

The hen determines the gender of the offspring, unlike in mammals where the father makes that determination.

For most genes both parents contribute equally. Only the sex-linked genes give a bias from one parent or the other. In the case of sex-linked genes, the mother only gives to the sons, and the daughter can only inherit them from the father. However, the father can also pass sex-linked genes to their sons.

Back
Top Bottom