Ok here I go! Hello my name is Joe and I am a chickaholic!

Quote:
Don't you just love those Old English game hens? I have one that lives in my house. She's so entertaining.

Welcome to BYC

I read that they are not so nice but I find they are more tame then my silkies!

Oh you are one of those I have been reading about with "house chickens" . Been a lot of talk last few days on this I see!
cool.png

Last edited:
I'm not a 100% sure what to ask, so here goes....

Do you keep them in the yard permanently like that?

If so how do you keep them contained? ie the concrete block retaining walls- are those enough, or do you need to concrete the bottom of the area as well?

The reason why I ask that is b/c I know that turtles burrow, and we put a turtle in our kids play area and we can't find it, and we don't want to lose future turtles....and would love to find the one we lost, but not sure how to do that.

Quote:
A very good question. You dig down just as you would for a chickenrun, but you go deeper and curve the wire inward under the pen. They tend to dig in corners or when they cant go any farther! If they can see out they will not stop trying to get out, you must make it so they cant see out, say a foot or so high solid fence.

Here is my first pen, who said turts can't climb?
100_5323.jpg

cool.png

Quote:
A very good question. You dig down just as you would for a chickenrun, but you go deeper and curve the wire inward under the pen. They tend to dig in corners or when they cant go any farther! If they can see out they will not stop trying to get out, you must make it so they cant see out, say a foot or so high solid fence.

Here is my first pen, who said turts can't climb?
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/injunjoetortman/100_5323.jpg
cool.png

eeahhhhh I have to soo eat crow.. my DH and I just got into a lets put it "debate" on turtles climbing.. I figured no way.. he said yes..
barnie.gif
he.gif
duc.gif

We just built a place for our turtle I will post pics too.. we used 4x4 welded fence wire for the bottom she is big like yours so she would not be able to fit through it..

oh my goodness.. I pulled my DH over to the computer to show him my public crow eating.. he got on and aparently there is a turtle site.. well I had nooooo Idea that they were worth so much money. OMGoodness this one is smaller than ours.. but looks just the same.. http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?showtopic=79865

Last edited:
Smom; Sorry you lost the debate.

That one is Wilma, she is a Central American Wood Turtle.
My other one is named Fred, yes the Flintstones.
He is a Florida Box Turtle.
They live outdoors in there pen all year round.
They get a heat lamp to bask when it is cold.

Same as having chickens. It is easy to keep them in, it is the darn coons
that make the pen more like a prison for them.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom