ok - how do I deal with this mess?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cocoloco, May 31, 2016.

1. cocoloco

cocoloco Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    I am a new member - I was planning to join eventually but decided to speed things up based on my current dilemma. I'll try to make this short - A friend bought 8 chicks on March 26 for her brother and his wife, because they talked about getting chickens. She bought them at the Tractor Supply Store. After 6 weeks, one got out of the yard, a neighbor complained, there was a big argument - result - my husband offered to take them - even though we are city folk and know nothing about chickens. Anyway, we quickly built a coop, feed, etc. 2 weeks later, we are getting attached to these crazy things - they make us laugh. We have 2 bantams (male and female) 4 hens and 2 roosters. Today, I went back to Tractor supply and met their chicken expert - I was wondering when they start to lay. I told her my friend bought them there and was told they were Cornish. The chicken lady said - "those are meat birds not egg layers - whoever was here that night messed up and sold your friend meat birds. They should have been butchered by now it is cruel to keep them alive." I was in shock. She said "are they fat with huge feet?" - I said the roosters are - she told me to get rid of them. I'm heartbroken and angry. Why would tractor supply store allow someone to sell meat birds to a person who clearly wanted layers. We've invested time and money so I don't want to write them all off. They also sold leghorns - how can I tell what they are ? Am I being cruel keeping them alive? I need advice badly.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Got any pictures.? . Probably not meatbirds.. certainly not the bantys right?..

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm sorry to hear it's been a mess with your new chicken adventures. I've just been reading your other thread and Sourland left you some great advice with I totally agree with. Good luck with your new birds I hope you can keep your Cornish as comfortable as possible :fl

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have been hearing a lot of major complaints about them - don't think I would ever recommend buying chicks from them.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    If you post pictures. .we might be able to help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by