OK How do you pluck

We butchered today, too. We never have much problem with plucking. (this coming from the person who process and doesn't pluck!). I think they just grab big handfuls and pull. The smaller feathers do take extra time but aren't hard to do. I hope the rest go easier!

Ok so I plucked three a whopping three!! Never again!!! WQill I pluck! Ugh,,, I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I tried the scalding but that didn't work. I had in to long the first time. The second time wasn't all that bad and the third on,, well actually the fourth because the third one got ripped up so I skinned it. So after that all her chickens stayed whole but were skined. I told her and she looked slightly dissapointed but understood. So I'm going to try the parafin wax method on this next batch and see if that works for me. Then I will give a few of mine to make up for mot plucking all of hers.

Keep your water below 165 degrees. Dunk for 10 - 12 seconds then test a good tug at the feathers. If they come out fine then start plucking if they stick dunk once more.

WOW How the heck do you build something like that!!!
ep.gif

That looked great. That would have made saturday so less stressfull then what it was. I was up till elven thirty cleaning chickens. I won't tell how fast I can skin a chikcen now. I was impressed and embarresed all at the same time.

Quote:
http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2006/09/whizbang-plucker-story.html

I built it based on the plans and with parts purchased from Herrick Kimball. It will take about 10 hours total to build once you get all the parts together (which is what takes all the time, really). Herrick's book is invaluable and it even has the 'shopping list' for the hardware, etc. One final note - it's built like a brick house so it will last for many years.

I dry pick. Of course I dont do tons of birds in one sitting. I have found that the best way to ease the trials of plucking is a cold bottle of beer (if you are so inclined and of age etc...) We sit around the table outside and chit chat while doing it and it isnt half bad.
smile.png

Quote:
The major expense is the motor. I should have used a smaller HP motor that a friend had before dropping $150 at TSC for a new 3/4 HP motor. That drove my costs close to $650. It could be built for about $500 if you find a used motor, an inexpensive plastic barrel, have some of the hardware or lumber, etc. I recommend buying the featherplate, shaft, plucking fingers, and such from Mr. Kimball.

OK I HAVE TURKEYS, IF I DECIDE TO SKIN THEM CAN I STILL THROW THEM IN THE TURKEY FRYER??? THIS SEEMS LIKE THE EASIEST WAY TO GET RID OF THOSE FEATHERS BUT I DONT WANT MY MEAT TO BE DRY.

Back
Top Bottom