Ok How Long

graggy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
HI I got 5 Buff Orpingtons on April 15th 1 day old there not laying yet. Is this normal or do I have a problem? I thought they would be laying by now. Its now the end of September. Dont know what to do. They sure seem to be getting pretty big. Any help would be great

I got mine about the same time and just got first egg three days ago...patience.....now I am trying to be patient waiting on my others to start laying!

Sounds about right to me. How red are their combs? The redder the comb the closer to laying. Should start about any time now unless they have begun to moult.

Pullets will lay eggs when they are ready to lay them. It's better - healthier - for them to start later than earlier. There's nothing wrong with chickens who don't lay eggs at the same time as other chickens, and I wouldn't get all wracked out of shape if they didn't lay until they were 35 weeks old. (But I bet your Buff Orps will start sooner than that...)

I am waiting also...mine are same time frame - no need to rush for me - I am happy as heck with them right now eggs or not!

paddock36 - I have not heard the thing about the redder the comb the closer they are to laying - is that true!?!
idunno.gif

Quote:
I've actually heard that Buff O's may take up to a year to lay their first eggs... luckily I have others that layed at 4 months so hopefully being around a hen that's ready will hormonally encourage them to lay sooner...

Quote:
X2 I would much rather they wait until 40 weeks if that means they probably won't have an internal laying problem. As much as I want to see eggs (my GLW and SLW are about three days older than yours) I want healthy happy birds first. Hard to wait I know!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom