1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok, I have a chick with a large crop and I am ............

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pumpkinpup, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am treating it in the usual manner. Massage regularly, and attempted to drip oil in mouth a couple times to lubricate, etc...
    The crop does go down slightly overnight and is not totally hard. I know for certain it had to have eated a piece of a shaving that was too large to pass because it's in a tub inside the house and it's only food or shavings that it could have ingested. Seems fine other than uncomfortable and lathargic somewhat, still eats and drinks. Any ideas on how to get oil down him other than dipping the toothpick I have been using in the oil and then droping the oil from the end into his mouth? This is a 3 week old chick mind you. This has been going on nearly a week now so I'm getting rather frustrated.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Soak a piece of bread in oil, they gobble it up like crazy.

Give it a little live culture yogurt too.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    k, I'll try that. Thanks, rooster red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by