1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok...I have a question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Myst4, May 5, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have babies,12 of them born on the 4th of this month.Anyway, I'm wondering how long do I keep them under a heat lamp?

2. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
  3. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

For first week keep under lamp so temp is about 99 at their backs. Lower temp 5 degrees each week (by raising lamp) for first 6 weeks. By that time they should be feathered ou and can egulate their own body temp just fine.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Start at 95 degrees the first week. Decrease by 5 degrees each week until you are matching day time temps. Evenings can still be cool and they will need a night time heat lamp for several weeks longer until the nights become at least 70.

Chicks need to be feathered out before they can regulate their own body temps. Most chicks need 8 - 10 weeks for those mature feathers to come in. Large heavy breeds may need 12 weeks for full feathering. As we move into later spring temps you can start weaning off the day time lamp but I urge you to give them some heat at night for a while longer. When I take away the heat I make sure the nursery coop has deep bedding to snuggle in and there is no drafts that would chill them.

5. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Thank you so much !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by