Ok I said I was not going to candle but...

To convert it into a rechargeable light, you actually have to change quite a bit. Silkiechicken's is rechargeable because... well... I funded it
tongue.png

You'd have to get a battery charger, two (or 4 batteries to have two in the light and two spare), and a new lamp because the battery voltage will be higher and the lamp would blow out. If you don't think you'll use the light that much, it isn't worth it. But for people like Silkiechicken and I who carry our flashlights at all times and use them when they would make the least bit of difference, then it saves us money.

But for people like Silkiechicken and I who carry our flashlights at all times and use them when they would make the least bit of difference, then it saves us money.

And I thought I was the only one!

What sort of bator do you use? To use the flashlight method, do you have to remove the lid of the bator?

I was thinking about the cooling aspect when the lid is off.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Brinsea Octogon 40. It has a really fast recovery time. I only have the lid off for less than a minute.

I have a Brinsea Octogon 40. It has a really fast recovery time. I only have the lid off for less than a minute.

Sounds great! See, Ive never had any of that fancy stuff - we just got electricity here in the last few years. [[ Okay, for those of you who take everything literally - STOP. That was a joke!
big_smile.png
]]

I got going with the foamies and then eventually made some of my own bators. If you've ever seen Cyn's bator you've seen similar to mine. It was a natural for me to remove the eggs to candle, and so develop the standing model I now have.

Maybe one time I'll try a flashlight. It might be easier than turning that danged generator by hand...​

There are three types of bators I use. One is the standard plastic bodied marsh rollx types where I open the lid and put the lamp on top of the egg. The other is a cabinet type where I just pull out the trays and put the light over. The third is my home made one, which is actually mine, that is a square foot plywood box with a pint of urethane on it (heated with two light bulbs). All three require opening up the bators but I don't mind cool downs. I transport eggs for half an hr to an hour on day 18, don't watch the humidity, leave them out on the counter for a week and they hatch really well despite the "miscare." 100% hatches with my own silkies and 85% hatches using eggs from other sources. I just keep an eye on the air cell and that determines how much water. As for the raising humidity at the end... well, I let it go dry for the last week. Less mess.

As a note on flashlight though, a small faced one with high output would be best as a large face one would light up the outside of the egg and a low output one... well, might as not even try.

Funny side story. I was outside in a thick jacket and it was about 45 deg F. It was drizzling and what do I see? Momma hen and a 3 day old chick running around scratching in the soggy dirt! They were covered in mud spots and happily chirping along!!!

Back
Top Bottom