Ok.. I think I need Help managing my flock .. Yikes - Please advise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Ok... So Ive been looking up ducks and geese basically all day... ANd Im in some deep muck.

SO... Currently I have :

1 cayuga hen
    1 Magpie hen
    4 Scovies - One drake, three hens
    4 magpie x runner ducks - 2 males, 2 females
    5 mutt hens
    1 Mutt drake

Two inside ducks
    Then I have 6 ducks that I have for sale, but are still part of the flcok for now until I rehome them.

Now.. I know I am getting some ducks in Spring, and possibly some goose eggs ( mutt ) . Plus the rents said yes to getting one or two trios of chickens in March.

I have three "pens". Two pens that are 20 x 18 and then one smaller structure in one ben that Is 17 x 6 That the ducks stay in at night and when i am not home. WHen I am home they get 5 acres to forage and free range on. We are also constructing two more pens that are the same size as the 20 x 18 - if not larger. The two pens are connected by a fence that I leave open so they have full range of the 40 x 36 area.

Now - Since I hae 16 Permenant outdoor birds... How many birds can I have total?? I would love to get some Geese and maybe a few more breeds of ducks as well as the 6 chickens.

I do sell ducks and eggs and ducklings all year round when I have them so If they arent part of my permenant flock them well they may be sold if something happens ( turns mean ).

Anywho... I guess the money isnt really a big problem. I spend about $40 a month on feed and hay. I get that money just from selling ducklings once a month at the fleamarket, that doesnt include what I sell off of CL and locally.

How many birds could I have comfortably with the amount of room I have??? ( ducks, geese, chickens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by