Ok, It's a fox

Here I have a Fox problem ...In Alberta it's illegal to shoot in my area, trapping in a live trap requires a permit that is only 48 hours long..Then if we want to really trap it we need a trapping licence...:barnie
We shoot and shut up....Only thing we can do...
same in Saskatchewan you need a fur licence to be able to shoot a fox, but coyotes here are open season.

After losing a few hens and finding feathers scattered all over the place and no bodies, my trail cam picked up a fox. I would like to trap it and get rid of it....not only because of the chickens but we have small dogs we let out in the evenings to go potty. What is the best method to rid my property of a fox?

You must remember that you will never rid your property of fox, perhaps this one fox, but another will eventually take its place.

As you now know that they exist within your local, best to prepare and develop a stronger defense to eliminate their threat.

But a trapped raccoon or opossum is one that's eliminated from the neighborhood. That's a good thing!
Mary

Can't argue that it's to the point that in many places coons and possums have gotten out of control ... my point was simply targeting fox with live traps is a long shot !

When I was a kid everyone I knew had coon dogs or trapped this time of year . When the "save the furry critters " bunch got their way and effectively killed the fur market here in the U.S. the population of coons and possums and many other targeted animals exploded and has had a devastating effect on many wild ground nesting birds . Wild Bobwhite Quail are all but non existent around here anymore along with several other species like meadowlarks and killdeers . Wild turkeys and waterfowl have took some big hits in many areas .

Recreational trapping is almost a thing of the past and the few people who have the knowledge have fewer and fewer youngsters to pass their skillsets to ...kids are to busy playing X box to bother going outside in the cold .

I am....chain link gets installed next week and I will take it from there. All I got on the cam was a raccoon, looked at the trap and walked on...lol.
Chain link will definitely help. I have a 4 foot chain link fence around my backyard. I had noticed places that the fox tried to dig under. I installed a Nite Guard on my coop and never saw the digging again.

Can't argue that it's to the point that in many places coons and possums have gotten out of control ... my point was simply targeting fox with live traps is a long shot !

When I was a kid everyone I knew had coon dogs or trapped this time of year . When the "save the furry critters " bunch got their way and effectively killed the fur market here in the U.S. the population of coons and possums and many other targeted animals exploded and has had a devastating effect on many wild ground nesting birds . Wild Bobwhite Quail are all but non existent around here anymore along with several other species like meadowlarks and killdeers . Wild turkeys and waterfowl have took some big hits in many areas .

Recreational trapping is almost a thing of the past and the few people who have the knowledge have fewer and fewer youngsters to pass their skillsets to ...kids are to busy playing X box to bother going outside in the cold .
i just got into recreational trapping this year, but as long as our governments still support trapping i don't see it going any where (in fact my government just made cougar/mountain lion trapping legal this year)

but as a new trapper i agree, trapping is by far the hardest sport out of hunting, fishing and trapping (it takes a lot of skill and knowledge which i have none lol) and cage traps make it even harder (foxes are smart)

Back
Top Bottom