OK, it's because all of you made me......now I need help

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
I should have stoped reading Incubating & hatching Eggs. I now have 5 eggs in my kitchen waiting for more. I'm going to start saving them for maybe 5 days. I have been getting 7 eggs a day but my question is:

I have eggs I put in the freg. this week can I still use them?

Should I leave them in there until the day before I decide to put them in the bator?

Or should I take them out and let them sit?

I think I will put them in on Sunday morning.

All of my reseach says the fridge is to cold to store eggs. That does'nt mean they won't work though. The eggs should be at room temp before putting them in the bator though. Keep the eggs above 50 degrees if you can and lower than 70. Good luck!
smile.png

Take the eggs out and bring them to room temp. Turn them once a day until you can get them in a preheated incubator. Best to test with your eggs than to buy eggs and have problems.

Some breeders believe in refrigerating the eggs. Some don't.

I am more comfortable with eggs kept in a cool place, turned daily until setting.

OK, I have the eggs out. So far I have 14 so if I get 7 each day and wait until Sunday night I could get 35 eggs. HOOT HOOT. I'm so eggcited. DH said what are you doing and I just said doing what you told me dear.
lau.gif
He said we need more hens. I just agreed oh master.
gig.gif

Thank you for your help.

I wish I would have marked the other eggs in the freg. Then I would have know how old they were but it looks a little funny when you sell them with the dates on.

OH MY I am SO EGGCITED.
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

Welcome to the CLUB!!!

Now just do a lot of this...
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

There is no sit on your hands smiley yet.

And try not to go tooo
ep.gif
lau.gif
ep.gif

Lots of
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Ask questions and go nuts with the rest of us.

And eventually
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Quote:

This will be my 4th time to do them but I thought I would have to wait until spring.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I haven't even started and I fell 20 years younger. hehehehe

Wait until DH finds out he needs to clean out the wood shied to put them in.
lau.gif

The hatching rate does go down some with refrigerated eggs but I've seen plenty of threads with people hatching 70-80% from refrigerated eggs. My current eggs also got shipped here in temps around 40-55F, took 5 days to get here, and 14 out of 16 started to develop with 12 having viable chicks before my cats decided to knock the incubator over. I don't think the hatch rate or chick health of refrigerated eggs is any worse than getting shipped eggs which most on here do. The shorter the time you refrigerate them the better though and you should try to get them set before the oldest ones are more than 7days and definitely before 10days. After that the hatch rate will continue to go down considerably.

One thing I haven't seen on any of the other posts, is if you had washed the eggs you put in the fridge? It is not good to wash eggs that you are going to incubate. The eggs have a coating on the shell, to keep bacteria off, and washing them removes this, as well as can force the bacteria inside the egg.

As far as storing them, I just left the eggs I put in my bator out in the chickens nest's, until they were there for a week, then collected them and popped them in. It was this summer, 90 degree weather, and I still had almost 90% hatch. There are a lot of people that get refridgerated eggs, that hatch just fine. I have not done this yet, so I can't say from personal experience.

I believe the 'experts' say to store the eggs between 55-65(maybe 70 ?) degrees.

Back
Top Bottom