Ok, just HOW LOUD are the *really*?

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Guineas. I wants em. Only 2 or 3, but i'm afraid my neighbors may kill me. Are theythe constant-yapping-small-dog kind of loud that is so irritating you can't stand it? Or is it more of a you-notice-it-but-not-really-after-a-while kind of loud? And are they loud all the time? Or intermittently?

More like an occassional car alarm going off, I had 12 and when they all went at same time it was loud, but after a while (like a car alarm, when was the last time you really paid attention when someones alarm went off) you learn to block it out.

Unless you keep them penned they won't stay home either...they'll be in the neighbors yard going off! And yes they are very loud, but like mdbucks says after awhile you block it out......except my hubby and oldest son who threaten to shoot them fairly regularly......and I've had them 20 years!!!

With all due respect to MDBucks I have to say that when I was a kid in the 'burbs outside of Philly and for a while there were 2 escaped guineas haunting the neughborhood, the general consensus there (mine too at the time) was that having a guinea sounding off outside your window in the morning, or when surprised in someone's garage, or really pretty much any other time either, should be considered legal justification for murder. Of the owner not necessarily the bird of course
wink.png
It is a really loud head-splitting sort of noise.

I would strongly suggest you find someone whose guineas you can visit and listen to in person, and consider your individual neighbors' temperaments and attitudes, before leaping in.

Pat

You can't imagine it unless you hear it in person. Here is a recording of them-turn up your volume as these seem at a distanceAND it's only one. Imagine 10 making that noise at the same time:
http://zar.co.za/sounds/guinea.htm

I love them myself. I figure my guineas weren't any louder than the neighbor's guns, ATVs, tractors, jeeps and country music blaring.

I currently have a lone male guinea that is penned with my chickens and ducks. His mate died in the late summer and I have not replaced her yet. She "called" out quite often thru the day. He on the other hand is quiet unless alarmed.

For instance the other day I was in the kitchen doing dishes and heard him sound off from the chicken pen in my backyard. I knew something was wrong. Sure enough he was standing on a mound of snow at the unshoveled end of the run looking upward giving the alarm.... I assume he saw a hawk. All the chickens/roos and the ducks had left to take cover.

On hearing his alarm I assumed they were under attack and waddled/ran out in my shorts (we have a woodstove and it gets too hot sometimes) and slippers to defend the flock...lol

He more than earns his keep !!!!

Julie

The males are quieter than the females, but they can't be sexed for a while. I loved my guineas; the only reason I don't have them is that my alpha male developed a grudge against one of my RIR hens, then it translated to all red chickens. They basically grew up with chickens, but it still happened. I may get them again one day, though. This time I'll have a broody hen hatch them, so maybe, just maybe it will work out better next time. Mine were very tame as you can see:
DCP_4806.jpg

DCP_4766.jpg

Guineas have the kind of voice that could penetrate a 3 ft. wall of solid concrete. I love 'em to death, but fear I may not keep many more than 4 or 5. I agree with the car alarm comparison...they have a very unique sound that will alert everyone and everything.

LOUD, seriously, LOUD. We used to have three males and a female.

I find the males' call much more annoying than the females'.

The males are like KEY-KEY-KEY-KEY KEY-KEY-KEY-KEY

The females are buckwheat buckwheat buckwheat

*edited to add*

In the sound clip, the first call is female, the second is a male, you can hear the difference, it is VERY distinctive

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom