OK Los Angeles...

witchawomn

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Palos Verdes
I've been reading and researching to prepare for my chicks arriving in June. Discovered a "Meet Up" group, LA Urban Chicken Enthusiasts, that hosts information sessions on everything you need to know about chickens from getting started, coops, chicken health, culling, etc. They suggest starting your flock with no less than 3 hens. Small coop set-ups for backyard enthusiasts can be ordered on-line from Amazon or Walmart. Chicks can be ordered from www.mypetchicken.com. You can also get chicks or slightly older hens from Dare2dreamfarms.com in Lompoc, California. They have a great informational website and they deliver! I've also learned a ton reading chicken boards on Pinterest. Hope this helps those new to chickens with options and possibilities I was unaware of. Cluck, cluck and here's to many more urban chicken enthusiasts!

HI! I'm in Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley area. I get my chicks here at feed/barn supply stores. Red Barn in Tarzana and Cooper's Hardware in Sylmar. Recently I found out the animal shelter nearby had chickens for adoption. I adopted 2 juvenile hens. 1st day I got her, she laid an egg for me :)

Hello and welcome! I am also in Los Angeles and while I have never actually met up with anyone I am a member of the Meet Up group online. There are a number of local breeders if you keep an eye out on craigslist -- mostly in the Norco and Temecula area but a few smaller people closer to the city here and there.

There is a really good show quality silkie breeder locally as well http://showsilkies.com/

Last edited:
Good information and nice to meet both of you! It's interesting...this chicken thing is beginning to take over my life and they're not even here yet! So happy to know others in the area...

Hello. I also am in the Los Angeles area, up by Magic Mountain. I started off by getting my first chooks at a farm in Lancaster. Since then, I have gotten them all over from feed stores to Craigslist. Currently I have a whole bunch of fluffy butts I just hatched. :)

I am curious where you all buy your feed. I live in the city of Los Angeles and am currently going to either Malibu Feed Bin or Steven's Hay and Grain in Glendale but am not in love with the selection at either place. Are you happy with your feed store? Does your store offer any organic or soy-free feeds? I am also looking for bulk whole barley that is not reclaimed and am struggling to find it locally. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I also might be interested in going in on online orders with someone locally if there is anyone else struggling with local options in the city. Let me know what you are searching for and I can see what the alternatives are.

Hi, I am not in LA but I am in So Cal. I am in San Bernardino. I have gotten birds throw the mail (Murray McMurry) and the different feed stores in the area (Ontario, Norco, San Bernardino). Right now I get my feed from a feed store that is really close by. He does not have a lot in verity but I have tried others and he is really nice. But That would not help any one way out in LA area. Sorry. I wish I could be of more help... It is just nice to see other Chicken obsessed people in So Cal.

Quote: I am happy with my local feed store, they carry organic & are reasonable priced. (Fox Feeds in Acton) but, that is not local to the OP.

I'd suggest you look into Azure Standard. (azurestandard.com).
"Azure Standard specializes in bulk, natural and organic food delivery. Order bulk and organic food online and have it delivered to your home."

Back
Top Bottom