Ok maybe Im being paranoid?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormylady, Feb 28, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My little 3 week olds look very scraggly, and I know that Ive been told they all go through a ugly teenage stage. But to me they don't look healthy, the eat alot, drink alot, and poo (looks normal, I think?) alot, but there feathers (and they have alot) are all pokedy out everywhere, they have fuzz mostly just around there heads now, and some underneath there feathers but not much I don't think, all are lively and responsive, but when they lay down to sleep, they puff up they don't stay under the heat lamp so I don't think there cold, but I did read that if they puff up they may be sick! Am I paranoid or is this normal my son says they just look comfortable but I just don't know, Also they don't make alot of racket except when the boys are doing there little boy ruff and tumble games. so I just don't know .
    Please tell me if I should be looking for something in particular, They all were vacinated for Merriks at hatch, but that is all.
    Thanks Sandy
    Ps if you have pics of your 3 weeks old sleeping could you please post them?! just so I could see if the appear normal.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm not sure...it sounds normal....do you have any pics of what you're talking about?

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Sounds exactly like my 3.5 week olds. I wouldn't worry, if you want to check, hold chick to your ear and listen for a gurgling noise, signifying a resp. infection

4. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    They sound just fine. They all go through a scraggelyed stage.

[​IMG]

5. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    how do i put the pics on here?

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    If you are feeding them medicated feed, giving them water and heat yet to about 80* they are fine. They get so freaky looking at about 3-4 weeks. But with patience they will be gorgeous very soon. No worries. Seriously normal

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG] Heres a picture of what one looks like when she sleeps.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    They sound fine. Its a little common sense that will calm you down- you gotta realize that a sick animal is not going to show just one little sign and otherwise be perfectly normal. A listless chicken who's not feeding or drinking and puffed up while sleeping would be sick. A puffy sleeper who otherwise is normal and active is just that- a poofy sleeper.

All sounds well to me!

Give them another week and you'll feel better about it- they wont look so horrific at least [​IMG]

9. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]20212_3_week_old_chicks_002.jpg[/img]

10. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Well Ok, I will try and not read more into it than there really is, but it is hard not knowing what Im doing? And yes it is just common sense I guess but Im a worryier by nature. But thanks so much, I apprieate the help. Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by