OK. My mind is totally blown! What is this!?!?

Pics
That makes since about the oatmeal.
Im so happy to find out about the cheese and wet food. I didn't know.
If u want it to "go down easier" how long do u soak pellets before giving it to them?
That's so cool that the Cockatoo does that! 🤣 Cooking in his little pot in the kitchen.

If u want it to "go down easier" how long do u soak pellets before giving it to them?

Put the pellets in a bowl and add water until they're covered with it.
Carry the bowl out to the chickens.
That's probably long enough ;)

I would guess 5 minutes is long enough for them to absorb as much water as they can, and fall apart into mush. But the chickens can eat them at any stage, and of course the pellets in the bottom of the bowl keep absorbing water while the chickens eat the ones on top.

It seems like ever since it got really hot outside my chickens don't eat nearly as much food. They are about 5 to 6 months old. A couple of them seem like they're going to lay soon. Do chickens fast or eat less in the summertime when it's really hot in the 90s? Also, when they get older will they still hide under the coop for a lot of the day? I miss seeing them out and about.

It seems like ever since it got really hot outside my chickens don't eat nearly as much food. They are about 5 to 6 months old. A couple of them seem like they're going to lay soon. Do chickens fast or eat less in the summertime when it's really hot in the 90s? Also, when they get older will they still hide under the coop for a lot of the day? I miss seeing them out and about.

Chickens eat more when they are growing, and more when they are laying eggs, but they sometimes eat less for a bit in between. (This is fine.)

If they are able to forage for food, they may eat less of the usual chicken food. Things like bugs and weed seeds can add up to a lot of food, in some places at some times of the year. (This is also fine.)

And yes, they do sometimes eat less when it is hot. This can affect their growth or their laying ability, if they eat less than they need. (This is sometimes a problem.)

If you're worried about them, you could put some food in a dish and add cold water, and see if they like it better that way. You could also check their crops at bedtime to see if they are full (which is normal) or not (which might be concerning.)

Chickens eat more when they are growing, and more when they are laying eggs, but they sometimes eat less for a bit in between. (This is fine.)

If they are able to forage for food, they may eat less of the usual chicken food. Things like bugs and weed seeds can add up to a lot of food, in some places at some times of the year. (This is also fine.)

And yes, they do sometimes eat less when it is hot. This can affect their growth or their laying ability, if they eat less than they need. (This is sometimes a problem.)

If you're worried about them, you could put some food in a dish and add cold water, and see if they like it better that way. You could also check their crops at bedtime to see if they are full (which is normal) or not (which might be concerning.)
Oh good. I'll have to search youtube for a video about the crop.
Since a couple of them are showing signs of laying soon, should I put nests in their coop ahead of time or wait til i find an egg somewhere? I'm thinking ahead of time? Check out this post if you want: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ameraucana-green-legs-blue-or-green-eggs.1478448/

Please don't use bleach to clean the coop! The ammonia fumes aren't good for your chickens. Use vinegar or I think there is a lime thingy that you can use.

How painful their death is depends on what kills them. :lol: Some go quickly from a heart attack. Some get infections or a prolapse ~ nastier & messier. I try to choose chickens least likely to have these sort of issues. Hasn't always worked but that's my strategy.

Ok, your Sussex, BRs & Wyandottes are all dual purpose heritage breeds. I consider the BRs & Wyandottes [I have both] pretty hardy. Orpingtons are heritage but I've never kept them. Australorps are heritage & are supposed to be hardy. I'd have to see a picture of your Armeraucana to know what we are talking about as they're not always what they're sold as. Any Marans in America are unlike their French ancestors according to a European keeper I know so I couldn't say. I suspect the others are Hybrids going by the names.
I remembered to take the pictures of my chicken! I am starting a new thread in a moment and I would love to know any and everything you might know about this chicken. So please chime in. And anyone else please. You've all given such great info in my posts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ameraucana-green-legs-blue-or-green-eggs.1478448/

Since a couple of them are showing signs of laying soon, should I put nests in their coop ahead of time or wait til i find an egg somewhere? I'm thinking ahead of time?

Yes, put the nests in before they start laying eggs.

You could also put some fake eggs in the nest, to help them learn what the nests are for.
("Fake eggs" could be ceramic eggs, wooden eggs, golf balls, or anything else that's close to the right size and shape. The chickens aren't very picky.)

A pullet's first egg often ends up on the floor, but within a few days she usually has the idea of laying in the nestbox. They like to lay in places that already have eggs, which is why the fake eggs are helpful.

Yes, put the nests in before they start laying eggs.

You could also put some fake eggs in the nest, to help them learn what the nests are for.
("Fake eggs" could be ceramic eggs, wooden eggs, golf balls, or anything else that's close to the right size and shape. The chickens aren't very picky.)

A pullet's first egg often ends up on the floor, but within a few days she usually has the idea of laying in the nestbox. They like to lay in places that already have eggs, which is why the fake eggs are helpful.
Awesome! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom