OK...My Turn-Girls or boys (Again) (PIC HEAVY)

The Silver laced wyandotte is a hen and the RIR is a hen, as is the feather-footed bird in the first pics. All buff orps look like roos, except possibly the one at the back in the first BO pic. If they are a year old, I'd expect more developed hackle and saddle feathers on the roos... but I'm just on my first roos and they're only 9 weeks old right now
smile.png

You can look at their feathers on a piece of paper and see whether the ends are rounded or pointed - pointy means roo, rounded is hen. Look at the feathers on the base of the neck and base of the tail (hackle and saddle feathers) for this. Roos tend to have "shiny" feathers in these areas.

How old are they ?? If they are about a year then One buff is a roo and the red one is a roo,, If they are a year old you will see eggs soon when the days get a bit longer the last week of jan or first feb..

They are all about a year old allegedly. I traded some other roos for these in Nov and wasn't long I noticed their combs and wattles explode. I know they are getting much better feed. Since Thanksgiving two of the BO's combs have grown three times what they were when I got them. Thanks everyone for replying, on another hen hunt!!

I agree that the first two are hens and the rest are roosters, and that the second hen looks to be a SLW. They look like they might be a little younger than 1year old, somewhere between 9months and 1year, but I think that the roos should be more feathered out to be 1year old.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom