Ok now don't laugh at me but......

Olamina

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Sutter County
How do Ducks, Geese, Chickens, ect hear? I was cuddling some of the babies last night and I realized they have no ears! SO how do they hear? I know this is probably a very very silly questions, I am guessing at one point they covered this in school?, but I don't recall the answer lol. And since you guys are the best duck experts I know I figured I'd ask you. Thanks :)

They have ears, but I have to admit I don't think about the ears of ducks and geese much because they are covered with feathers. Come to think of it, my geese hear me pretty well considering they have no outer ear structure. The ears of chickens have little tufts of feathers around them and they have their version of an ear lobe below.

How do Ducks, Geese, Chickens, ect hear? I was cuddling some of the babies last night and I realized they have no ears! SO how do they hear? I know this is probably a very very silly questions, I am guessing at one point they covered this in school?, but I don't recall the answer lol. And since you guys are the best duck experts I know I figured I'd ask you. Thanks :)
No laughing. I applaud your bravery in asking. Their ears are just little holes in the sides of their heads straight back from their eyes. I have a pic of one of my ducklings where you can see it:

Ohh! Thanks guys. I knew they had them now I know where
big_smile.png
. I like to pet my ducks heads..... do I need to be sensitive to the areas where there ears are?

Well, I wouldn't blow on it (though I've seen that done to other types of birds in demonstrations) or yell in it, but I don't think you need to be super careful, just note whether they seem to enjoy it or not.

Yeah, I tend to be careful when I'm petting their heads so that if I see them reacting negatively to me touching around their ears I'll stop. No one seems to care though, so idk.

I will definitely not blow or yell in their ears, that's just mean! And I will definitely be attentive to their ear areas. So far their heads seem to be their preferred petting place :). Thx again guys. (gals w/e)

I had a cockatiel that loved to be petted around his ear holes...he would run into your hand like a dog...all he could say was what?!
What?!
All the time he just yelled whAt?!
As a child I had pretty bad ADD and was distracted all the time. So anytime anyone finished saying something I would ask what? Because I wasn't really payig attention ...so it was like come wash up for dinner. And I would Answer what? Or do your homework! ... What?

And that bird was a childhood pet...

Last edited:
I had a cockatiel that loved to be petted around his ear holes...he would run into your hand like a dog...all he could say was what?!
What?!
All the time he just yelled whAt?!
As a child I had pretty bad ADD and was distracted all the time. So anytime anyone finished saying something I would ask what? Because I wasn't really payig attention ...so it was like come wash up for dinner. And I would Answer what? Or do your homework! ... What?

And that bird was a childhood pet...
Having ADD myself and raising a child (maybe two) with it, I can totally identify with this.

Back
Top Bottom