OK, Sevin dust, is it good or not?!

we don't like using poisons either... HOWEVER-- these fire ants here are a major issue. We use a granular Sevin that is listed to control them and then cover the mounds with bucktes and bricks to keep the goats chickens and ducks out of the poison. Our oter major nuisance out here in the Dismal Swamp...FLIES!!!We went to the local SS and they were trying to sell us some DE.. problem being it wasn't food grade!! Says right on label not safe for animal consumption. BE CAREFUL Ya'll!! we almost had the wrong stuff. We'll be ordering some online soon.
wink.png

Quote:
Only the dust is being taken off the market. I've read because the dust is very hazardous. It's more likely to get into your lungs (or any breathing thing's lungs) and wreak havoc. Also the honeybee thing has been mentioned. With the bees already having issues, this is making it worse! Even when properly used it is dangerous to the bees!
We should always think about the damage we might peripherally cause...

I will place some really cold hard facts as I do a lot of research and listed potential solutions. Really this is a short version trust me you don't want read the boxes of documents or lab research I love the work but people find it not for them.

Sevin chemical name is Cabaryl it's been around since 1952....research deemed it safe years ago. Today, scientific technology has improved as well years this product use is gradually being removed key regions. The removal is political on various reasons as well safety concerns and most dominate reason fiscal controlling costs and profit performance.

Carbaryl was created by Union Carbide it wasn't introduced till 1958 as pesticide, today the third most heavily used pesticide The production involves the use Methyl Isocynate (MIC) in the late 1960's to early 1970's there were a few incidents U.S. manufacturing out which curtailed some sealed legal issues. Shortly, they moved production outside the U.S. to India. Union Carbide pesticides division India, Bhopal had a leak with the (MIC) tank known as the Bhopal Disaster 1984 which caused 11,000 deaths and 500,000 injuries. The media incident created a great expense (law suits & life time medical injury payments) that Union Carbide or divisions sold or allocated towards Aventis Crop Science other issues arose and today Bayer corp. owns Sevin.

Sevin or Carabyl is highly toxic it kills honeybees and it will kill crustaceans, determined highly toxic but sold on the bases parts per amount accepted towards human and environmental health. True toxicity doesn't reveal itself immediately but gradually over long term exposure and regular use for decades (commercial exposure). Due bee colony collapse, decline fishing industry (crustacean: shrimp, crab & lobster) and organic producers as well environmental organization it is politically restricted key target areas due lobbying.

These areas include reducing use water sheds leading toward ocean and use areas deemed organic agriculture. Plus they're finding insects are gradually building resistance so actual areas they serve no present use. Other factors since the Oklahoma Bombings there has been key interest groups reducing production chemicals or base chemicals..this sounds insane the chemical is so trace that high volume would raise red flags towards explosives and let alone other very restrictive compounds; we are talking cargo load. Actually, there are lobby non-profit organization that target security, safety and extremely passionate of their efforts.

The speculations seasonal or proper use creating lasting harmful effects there is much conflicting research under as control study variations differ and each has not been recreated over again to ensure no deviation the results accurate as of yet. Yet their has been good resulting facts persuading reduction and research any impact changes towards slowing declines in bee and shell fish industries. Besides if ever saw the commercial usage those handling Sevin must comply labor standards with (EPA, OSHA) - the workers wear full body hazard suits and full protection respirator masks- loading spray hoppers.

Solutions (flies, ticks, fleas and mites)
-Olden days before pesticides wood ash was used in dust baths as animals usually roll instinctively removing parasites. The old recipe used cold wood ash, cornstarch and dried blend lavender & geranium flowers or lemon grass. - wood ash salts kills most insects and slugs, cornstarch dehydrates eggs and dried flower blend repels egg laying adults. Yes you can blend a little (DE) either way this version is rather cheap.

-Diatomaceous Earth (DE) food grade is found in all grains stored so we already eat it in trace amounts daily. In fact it is silica based you find it in those food dry packs silica warning food grade is low percent silica high amounts industrial has hazards. The key issue it must be food grade how it works is dehydrating and attacking extoskeleton via it's fine crystal shards acting on the insect as razors.

-IBS Enzymes- there are two researched on the market organic and safe one produced by MannaPro called "Poultry Protector" the second made by Carefree enzymes called "Healthy Pen" here are the links http://carefreeenzymes.com/agricultural/poultry and https://www.mannapro.com/products/poultry/poultry-protector/ their others on the market some use (DE) others don't.

I'm about to declare war on my rat infestation and checmical and nuclear
weapons have not been taken off the table.
here is an old farmer method for getting rid of rats and mice, put grain in the bottom of a bucket just enough to line the bottom of it. has to be a bucket that the rodent can't get back out of easily. now fill with enough water that they will drowned. if they are big rats you will have to kill but they can't get out of the bucket so they are trapped and no chemicals were used. my father did this in the barn for as long as I could remember. good luck

This is an old thread, but I wanted to share what we use!

We use the concentrated 38% Permethrin! We dilute it down to the concentration we need.
I personally hate the sevin dust. It gets in the chickens eyes and nostrils!

I saw bags of sevin dust on the wal-mart shelves a couple weeks ago!

TC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom