ok so i have started to build the COOP

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wildbillg, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

My bantam lays eggs about half the size of a large egg from King Soopers. You can look around BYC and chicken blogs for some pointers, and My Pet Chicken has a very good breed chart in their book, which you can put on hold at your local library. Also, they have an o.k. 'breed selection tool'. They might even still be selling chicks. Here is a link: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
    Many other chicken books also have breed charts, which you can compare. Off the top of my head, I think some good heat birds would be Leghorns, Campines, and maybe an egg hybrid, since they are all slim? It's cold over here, so I mostly have to look for fluffy butts. [​IMG]

2. wildbillg

wildbillg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    Well I hope they like white
    painted the whole thing with Kills2 latex[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks great except for that chicken wire. It's terrible at keeping predators out.

4. chonsey

chonsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Beautiful coop! I'm still working on hatching & brooding. Still dreaming of what I'd like my coop to look like.

5. mommadearest

mommadearest Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2015
    Northern Ny
    I got some last week from Meyers Hatchery Six total, So try them. Altho 3 of them did die. But they were shipped to Northern New York,

6. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, chicken wire is only for keeping chickens in. Racoons can shed that stuff just as easily as you can shred the plastic netting that lemons come in. And once you get past it, you get lemons and the racoon gets chickens. It's not cheap, but go with hardware cloth. The run doesn't have to be predator proof (mine isn't) but the coop must be, or all your hens will get killed.
    Other than the chicken wire, the coop looks to be of solid construction and good design, and it looks very nice, too. :) Can you give us a close up on the locks? I think it is a gate latch, but is there wire too?

7. wildbillg

Nov 17, 2015
    there is a gate latch yes
    wire? where?
    there is a piece of wire on the top of the latch going into the coop so you cant get stuck inside lol

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The chicken wire mesh covering the windows up high.

1 person likes this.
  9. wildbillg

Nov 17, 2015
    lil more done on the coop
    it is now solar powered
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 watt solar panel on the roof to charge the battery and keep it charged during the day
    which powers a 700 watt inverter to power the light for night and if i want to put a fan in for the hot summer months during the day
    and it has an automatic switch that comes on for a programmed amount of time after the sun goes down to power low voltage lights

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That chicken wire really should be replaced with hardware cloth. It's not going to keep chicken eating predators out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by