ok so i have started to build the COOP

My bantam lays eggs about half the size of a large egg from King Soopers. You can look around BYC and chicken blogs for some pointers, and My Pet Chicken has a very good breed chart in their book, which you can put on hold at your local library. Also, they have an o.k. 'breed selection tool'. They might even still be selling chicks. Here is a link: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
Many other chicken books also have breed charts, which you can compare. Off the top of my head, I think some good heat birds would be Leghorns, Campines, and maybe an egg hybrid, since they are all slim? It's cold over here, so I mostly have to look for fluffy butts.
wink.png

Yup, chicken wire is only for keeping chickens in. Racoons can shed that stuff just as easily as you can shred the plastic netting that lemons come in. And once you get past it, you get lemons and the racoon gets chickens. It's not cheap, but go with hardware cloth. The run doesn't have to be predator proof (mine isn't) but the coop must be, or all your hens will get killed.
Other than the chicken wire, the coop looks to be of solid construction and good design, and it looks very nice, too. :) Can you give us a close up on the locks? I think it is a gate latch, but is there wire too?

there is a gate latch yes
wire? where?
there is a piece of wire on the top of the latch going into the coop so you cant get stuck inside lol

lil more done on the coop
it is now solar powered

20 watt solar panel on the roof to charge the battery and keep it charged during the day
which powers a 700 watt inverter to power the light for night and if i want to put a fan in for the hot summer months during the day
and it has an automatic switch that comes on for a programmed amount of time after the sun goes down to power low voltage lights

Back
Top Bottom