OK, so its NOT a pet...but....

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
I let the dogs out this afternoon...and laying in the yard was a small ribbon snake. Its sorta coiled up, and ice cold. The tems have been in the low 40's at night...and only in the 60's today. So...me NOT being a fan of snakes...my FIRST instinct was to let the dogs do what they wanted....then, I felt sorry for it...laying there all cold...so..I brought it inside and it is currently on a heating pad..in a box..with a LID! Now, IF this creature recovers....what do I do with it!????????

LOL....sounds like a perdicament i'd get myself into!...
lau.gif
... i'd put him outside tomorrow morning..in some sunshine..he'll make his way where he needs to go..good luck!..Wendy

I agree. They will find a hole and stay there till it's warmer.
Warm it up and then release it somewhere around the warmest part of the day where there is cover from the dogs and such and it will take care of itsef unless it is sick or injured.

Well...see...its not moveing...im not sure its even alive!! Still in the box....warming up....how long do I waite untill I just throw it out in the woods?? I mean...if its in hibernation mode....will it snap out once its warmed??

um..i'm not sure...can u poke it a bit...LOL..to see if its alive...?...it wouldnt hibernate in the middle of the ground like that..so..it may be sick?....also..dont have the heat on to hot...
smile.png

That's probably normal. They shouldn't be very active or move around much this time of year. If it gets very active you've probably countered all it's natural instincts to get ready for winter and that would be bad. You want it to stay fairly inactive and I'd turn it loose tomorrow afternoon unless the temps are suppose to be lower than average that day.

If it is alive ..even cold.. you should be able to see it breathing. The lungs are about a third of the way from the head back down the body ..and the movement will be very, very slight but noticeable.

If you have the heating pad set on low ..and just one end of the box or container directly on the pad... the snake may perk up a bit tonight and self regulate its own temp by moving from one side of the box to the other. (Do not place the entire foot space of the box on the pad.. should be a warm side and a cool side.)

Then, like previously mentioned ...take the snake out in the midday when it's warmest ..and release it. You can release it on a rock that has been warming in the sun ..or any warm spot, really.

Let Nature take its course...
smile.png

Well...I dont think its alive....poor thing. I had to leave for a while, my son called. He was at Lowes. They had a 6 ft Picnic table....regular 89.00 on sale for 21.00. It was a floor model...but they had cut off 2 of the legs so no one would want to buy the floor model. 21.00 is not bad...but its a 45 min drive for me. He KNEW I wanted one...so he talked the guy into letting us have it for 10.00. AND...we got the wood for the new legs for 5.00 Not bad! So...anyways...before I left, I unplugged the heating pad, and set it in the garage. I have the heat back on now, but can't see it breathing...and definately not moveing. Its probably already dead. I will give it till morning..if no change...in the woods it goes! Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom