Ok, So Who Has the Oldest Chicken??

Chickie Mamma

Farmer at Heart
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Sherman, CT
Hello, I was just wondering who has the oldest chicken. You don't hear much of older chickens on here. Please post the age and breed of chicken and any advice that you can give on how to keep them healthy for a long time. Is there anything "special" you do to ensure good health? Thanks
big_smile.png

Our oldest is "Oscar" - for Oscar from Sesame street. He is probably about 10 this year. He is a Barred rock mix and who knows what. He has thrown some very interesting chicks over the years. One day he just showed up at the house under the bird feeder. His comb and wattles had been freshly dubbed so we figured he was going to be fought. He is retired now, doesn't mate much, just sort of does his own thing. He has 2 older hens that hang out with him, when another rooster mates them he doesn't even try to fight them off.

We haven't done anything extra special with him over the years. In the afternoons when we are feeding he is usually the first one to go in the house so I will feed him a handfull of corn or some treat.

Steve in NC

Thanks Steve.. When I started raising chickens about 2 years ago, I didn't think they lived that long. I figured around 5-6 years. My 3 original hens are between 2 and 3 years old and my kids always ask me how long will they live? After reading up on it, I was amazed hoe long they actually live. Thanks for sharing, and give Oscar a ......
thumbsup.gif

Henny Penny was at least a year old when she was brought into the animal hospital where I worked (a guy saw her in the mouth of a dog running down the street). He dropped her off and said he had to get to work - didn't want her. We had her for 10 1/2 years! She was really wrinkled her last couple years - very cute! She was our 1st chicken and lived through a lot of mistakes (on our part). I miss her!

We had a white rock that was at least 10 years old, she just passed this winter actually. The other white rock we had was about six when she passed.

Back
Top Bottom