OK - Thanks to fellow BYC'ers, I just ordered my first meaties!!!

ChickyLaura

The Crazy Chicken Lady
11 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Eastern/Central PA
Just wanted to shoot out a quick message, because nobody else will truly understand my "excitement", so to speak...

I've had chickens for 2 years, and it's going pretty well (well, for the most part). We are getting an abundance of eggs, even now in the dead of winter. I am selling eggs to my co-workers, and honestly, the eggs are helping with our food budget here at home. I can't say I'm breaking even financially (but maybe close to breaking even), but anyway I do really enjoy my birds - I could even venture to say that my chickens are therapeutic for me.

So, this year I've decided to go the next step. I just bought 10 Cornish Rocks from Ideal, along with 10 mixed pullet chicks and 5 Turkens. The bill came to $70.40, which isn't cheap, but it works out to $2.81 AVERAGE for each bird including shipping. The Cornish Rocks were $1.87 each (straight run), the Naked Neck pullets were $2.63 each (I LOVE my Naked Necks that I have, they are the best darn birds), and the assorted pullets were $2.23 each.

I know I'm not going to make money on this deal, but I do believe it will be an experience for myself, my DH, and my children. I have viewed Frugal's "how to" thread numerous times, but I'm not sure if we're going to do the deed, or if we're going to have them processed. We have neighbors that live close, so we'd have to do the slaughtering at my mom's house. We'll see how that goes.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom