Ok this might be a dumb question but Im new to this....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SteveP612, Jun 10, 2009.

1. SteveP612

SteveP612 Chirping

Jun 2, 2009
    Coleman Michigan
    Im getting my hens in about 2 weeks and this will be our first attempt with laying hens. My question is My neighbor told me that if I only want eggs to eat and not hatch that I dont need a rooster. Is this true. He said that the rooster is only needed to fertilize the eggs so they will hatch. Help me please.

2. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    He is correct, you do not need a rooster for eggs, they will lay anyway. If you want babies, you either need a rooster or to buy fertilized eggs.

3. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Yes it is true, No roo needed unless you want fertile eggs. BTW.. No, such thing as a stupid question. If you want to know, just ask.

4. SteveP612

SteveP612 Chirping

Jun 2, 2009
    Coleman Michigan
    Thanks for the quick responses this clears it up for me.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Amazing how most questions get answered around here within minutes.

6. nhnanna

nhnanna Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    He is right.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree with the other posts. You only need a Rooster if you want furtilized eggs.

8. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Songster

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    OK....another "stupid" question.....can a hen become broody and want to sit on eggs even if there is no rooster in the flock to fertilize them?

And.....why do I change my mind every few weeks as to what breeds of chickens I want to have?

BTW, I have to say this is the BEST place on the internet to learn about chickens, coops, chicks, egg laying, incubating eggs, etc. etc. with the nicest, most generous members.

9. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Quote:Yes
    You're a woman????
    I totally agree !!! This place is awesome !!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  10. Becky_H

Becky_H Songster

Quote:*Snerk* At least you haven't GOT them yet. I keep deciding I want different breeds --w hich presents a problem once you've already got the birds. (AKA: I just keep buying more birds. My husband is going to leave me soon, I swear).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: