Ok this might be a dumb question but Im new to this....

no such thing as a dumb question,maybe some funny ones
lau.gif
,but we all have to ask at one time or another,,and regardless of what we ask,its something someone else is curious and wants to know also
caf.gif

Quote:
Let another Newbie answer that:
Because who knew there were so many different kinds of chickens to choose from?
I had "decided" I wanted brown egglayers only, strictly useful birds....

And I ended up with a silly-looking, white egg-laying, largely non-productive Houdan.
And I love her

My other 4 are BEL and useful types, but not the #1 Choices on my original Wish List.
Doesn't matter, I am happy with them all.

Now go get yourself some chickens!!!!!

BAck to the rooster question - actually, another reason to have one is that they are excellent protectors of the flock as well! I wouldn't be without one in each pen!!

Quote:
Yes
You're a woman????
I totally agree !!! This place is awesome !!!

Peepless, IMO this is the best way to decide what chickens you want.
Make a 'priority' list with the most important feature of the chicken you are looking for, first.

My list was like this:

Egg or meat or both - what do I want from this chicken?
Size of egg
Color of egg
Personality of chicken
Good mother hen?
Tolerance to temp extremes?

Then, not wanting to use an incubator, I ran across Silkies, and decided to get some of those to set on eggs I wanted to hatch and not eat.

I would not like overly-aggressive chickens, flighty chickens, or chickens that have had one or another thing bred out of them so that they can serve mainly one purpose. That's just me - some people are looking for very specific things.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Keep the questions coming. It's fun answering and helping others.

I haven't had chickens all that long, just a year; but you learn a LOT during that time.

The suggestion to make a list of qualities/traits you desire in a chicken is a good one. Especially if you have to narrow it down to just a few chickens in your flock. But then later you will start to find ways to increase your flock and include more breeds.

Yes, a hen can become broody without a rooster. It is a trait that some breeds are more prone to than others. If you do not want this trait look for breeds that do not possess it as strongly as others.

Back
Top Bottom