Ok...thought all my mixes were roos...but what about this one??

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
I got a group of 4 "barnyard specials" that are leghorn/BR crosses, so they should be good egglayers, but they all got really red combs really quickly. I assumed they were all roos, but lately, one hasn't kept developing like the other obvious boys.

What do y'all think??

Here is a pic with a sibling:

SANY0042.jpg

Here's a back and comb shot:

SANY0043-Copy.jpg

I would be really happy if she was a pullet, but is she just an underdeveloped roo? Maybe bottom of the pecking order? Or is it a pullet?

I forgot to add that she is about 3 months old, and the siblings have huge bright red combs and wattles right now.

Thanks!

Shelly

Last edited:
I am fairly certain.
hu.gif
They all have huge red combs. I got these from a friend of mine, so they are not hatchery chooks. She had some Andalusians in there, too, but I know one of them is the BR mix, because he looks like a cream BR! LOL! The boys are going to freezer camp when they get bigger.
wink.png

The tail was what threw me on her. I guess it is from the BR influence? She and the cream one are the only ones with the curly fluffy tails. The others are the long straight tails like in the pic. I'm glad to get at least one pullet out of them.

My friend gave them to me for egglayers. I was just wondering if I was trying to "make" her be a pullet, rather than the bottom rung male. LOL! It will be a little while before they go to "camp" so if any of the others start looking questionable, I'll post them.

I do hate to eat the cream barred, but no one has shown any interest in him.
idunno.gif
If anyone wants him for a breeding project, let me know. He has the body style and leg coloring of a BR, but is cream and white barred, not the dark. I can send you pics if you are interested.

Thanks everyone!

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom