1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK to feed hogs raw eggs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sitka, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Sitka

Sitka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    Is it OK to feed hogs raw eggs from a home flock?
    Shells-on OK?
    Thanks.

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    You should be just fine. When my dogs were on a raw diet, I gave them raw chicken eggs all the time. And I know if dogs can have it, hogs should have it just fine. LOL

-Kim

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    wait wait wait - HOGS like in pigs... or DOGS like in mans best friend? if its HOGS than i have to hop right in.

eggs are GREAT for hogs! but you should cook them first. it may not hurt them to eat raw but the raw egg has a protein inhibiting aspect to it - so they wont get the full nutritional value for their food.

we boil 'em up and toss them in shells and all - they go, well, hog wild for them!

do you have feeder pigs? someone gave me a GREAT solution to avoiding the extra expensive hog starter. we are having egg-cellent results! lemme know if you are interested and i'll give you our feeding recipe.

:)

now if its DOGS - yes they can have raw eggs. but you are 'creating interest' that you may not want. if the pups figure out them chickens have food...well.. no one likes a egg suckin' dog.

1 person likes this.
  4. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Quote:Yes, both are fine.

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I feed my little piggy raw eggs occasionally and she gobbles them up fast.

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    our pig likes to eat whol raw eggs, I think she likes to listen to them crack in her jaws O_O

she's wierd..and overwieght...needs a bigger pen

7. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    pigs can eat anything and will LOL! dead stuff and watch your broodies and their chicks [​IMG]

8. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    My PB piggy loves them [​IMG] Anytime I have one crack she gets them.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'll have to try this..

10. RadFoxFamily

RadFoxFamily New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    Okay, sign me up on your Hog (Little Piggy) recipe. My children and I are doing 4H pigs this year and have 15 chickens that more than supply us with enough eggs and we just got in another 15 new chicks for 4H and to replace some of our flock.

Thanks

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by