Ok to feed medicated feed after 16 weeks?

SeaChickens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Seattle, WA
Hi All,

I have a few weeks (estimated) left of food for my teenage chicks (they're 15 weeks old). It's Kruse's Super Chick medicated crumble, which I've been happy with. The bag says I should switch them to a layer feed at 16 weeks, but I'd kinda like to use up this bag. Besides having the food ready and on hand, I have also read here on BYC that it's not good to give layer feed to pullets who aren't laying yet so makes sense to continue this. I don't think they're going to be laying anytime soon, still small pale combs and no squatting behavior or anything yet. I'm guessing I might still have awhile before any eggs are coming.

Would it be bad to continue with the medicated feed another couple of weeks after the 16 weeks? And after that's gone, should I try to find a grower feed without much calcium added? Or do they need to start the layer feed in advance of laying? I can't remember exactly when I switched with my last flock, it's been 9 years since I've raised baby chicks. I used to do an organic layer pellet in the past (Payback brand) but have no laying hens at the moment and my old feed store is no longer around so have to source something new. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I think it should be just fine to finish off the bag. I still feed my layers chick feed and offer supplemental calcium. You can go ahead and offer the calcium in a separate container. Some people wait until they see the first egg but there shouldn’t be any problems with offering it earlier provided you don’t mix it in the feed.
I still use it since it’s a higher percentage than the basic layer which is 16% but lower than the super lay which is 22%. The chick starter I use is 18% which is perfect for my flock.

What protein percentage is your chick feed?

I think it should be just fine to finish off the bag. I still feed my layers chick feed and offer supplemental calcium. You can go ahead and offer the calcium in a separate container. Some people wait until they see the first egg but there shouldn’t be any problems with offering it earlier provided you don’t mix it in the feed.
I still use it since it’s a higher percentage than the basic layer which is 16% but lower than the super lay which is 22%. The chick starter I use is 18% which is perfect for my flock.

What percentage is your chick feed?
I believe it is 21% protein

Assuming "medicated" means Amprolium (which is what it usually means in the US), yes, you can continue to feed it past 16 weeks w/o ill effect. Battery hens, due to the conditions in which they are raised, are often fed medicated feed all their productive lives. There is no withdrawal period for eggs from chickens fed medicated feed here in the US. Elsewhere, studies suggest measurable amounts of amprolium indicators in eggs (note NOT MEDICALLY SIGNIFICANT) at more than a week after ending medicated feed, but generally not more than two weeks - so if you choose to avoid it, simply don't eat any eggs from your chicks till your withdrawal period is satisfied. Since few breed, and fewer individuals, start dropping eggs promptly at 16 weeks, this likely won't cost you many eggs, in the scheme of things.

Assuming "medicated" means Amprolium (which is what it usually means in the US), yes, you can continue to feed it past 16 weeks w/o ill effect. Battery hens, due to the conditions in which they are raised, are often fed medicated feed all their productive lives. There is no withdrawal period for eggs from chickens fed medicated feed here in the US. Elsewhere, studies suggest measurable amounts of amprolium indicators in eggs (note NOT MEDICALLY SIGNIFICANT) at more than a week after ending medicated feed, but generally not more than two weeks - so if you choose to avoid it, simply don't eat any eggs from your chicks till your withdrawal period is satisfied. Since few breed, and fewer individuals, start dropping eggs promptly at 16 weeks, this likely won't cost you many eggs, in the scheme of things.
Thanks! Yes, it’s amprolium. Not too worried about eating the eggs but agree I probably won’t get any for a bit anyway. Glad to hear it’s not detrimental to the pullets to eat medicated for longer.

Hi All,

I have a few weeks (estimated) left of food for my teenage chicks (they're 15 weeks old). It's Kruse's Super Chick medicated crumble, which I've been happy with. The bag says I should switch them to a layer feed at 16 weeks, but I'd kinda like to use up this bag. Besides having the food ready and on hand, I have also read here on BYC that it's not good to give layer feed to pullets who aren't laying yet so makes sense to continue this. I don't think they're going to be laying anytime soon, still small pale combs and no squatting behavior or anything yet. I'm guessing I might still have awhile before any eggs are coming.

Would it be bad to continue with the medicated feed another couple of weeks after the 16 weeks? And after that's gone, should I try to find a grower feed without much calcium added? Or do they need to start the layer feed in advance of laying? I can't remember exactly when I switched with my last flock, it's been 9 years since I've raised baby chicks. I used to do an organic layer pellet in the past (Payback brand) but have no laying hens at the moment and my old feed store is no longer around so have to source something new. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
We keep feeding the chicks the grower feed, until they are 16 weeks old. Then we start mixing the grower feed with the layer feed. At 18 weeks old, they go in with the older hens.

Seachickens: OK, I am SO glad you asked this question. Not that I'm able to truly enjoy Chicken Math like most of you do (I live in a city were 5 hens are the max allowed), but we lost one girl back in November and only have three right now. Two silkies and an australorp that was raised with her deceased sister by said silkies. While they are thriving and doing fine, three seems to be the magic number for picking on Poppy, our silkie that is the Queen of Broody. Irony? Our smallest girl, the other silkie Dottie, is the one doing all the feisty stuff. ANYHOW, I was thinking to myself how the heck was I going to keep the medicated feed separate for any new pullets and the layer feed likewise with the grown girls. This eases my mind considerably. Thank you again! <3

For the typical BYCer, with the typical backyard flock, and the typical backyard management - particularly if they have no plans to offer medicated feed - I recommend an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble feed for all their chickens, all their lives, without regard to age, gender, condition of molt or start of lay. Feed offered for all waking hours, plus seperate dishes of oyster shell, grit, and of course fresh clean water.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

For the typical BYCer, with the typical backyard flock, and the typical backyard management - particularly if they have no plans to offer medicated feed - I recommend an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble feed for all their chickens, all their lives, without regard to age, gender, condition of molt or start of lay. Feed offered for all waking hours, plus seperate dishes of oyster shell, grit, and of course fresh clean water.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom