Ok, wait... so should they be eating scratch?

So then what DO you feed them? All I've ever heard/seen (even months before getting chicks, staying up until 2am researching) is starter then scratch.
I must be missing a great big step in feed development.... and that it was definitely a big waste of money for that great big bag of scratch.
he.gif

I feed chick crumbs until around 7 weeks then I switch to grower pellets. I move them to layer pellets at around 18 -20 weeks. I don't start giving treats of any kind until they are 8-10 weeks old.

Quote:
Scratch is not 'feed', even for adult chickens. It's 'treat' or 'get in this coop, look see what I have?' enticement junk food. I usually throw out BOSS for that, which is a bit better. I feed starter, then flock raiser for everyone, with oyster shell on the side for the layers since I have a multi age setup.

Quote:
When pullets become laying hens, they need layer feed, which contains the proper calcium and protein levels for egg production. If you feed scratch, which is only about 8% protein since it's mostly corn, it has mostly carbs and little protein. They need good quality protein when they are growing in new feathers at molting time, too. If you feed only corn/scratch, you'll have lots of naked chickens for long periods of time.

Not all "scratch" is created equal. I use Knockout Game Bird feed as my "scratch". It has 12% protein and is basically made to feed to roosters more than anything else. My crippled rooster, Zane, who lives alone, eats this exclusively. You can see in the pic that it is nothing like most "scratch" you buy.

DCP_2841.jpg

I don't feed chicks scratch until they're big enough to go in the big girl pen. We buy scratch as a treat. I guess my girls don't get it until 10-12 weeks.

Have you opened the bag? Could you not just return it?

Blessings-
Em

Quote:
HI jodyjo, I would love that seed bell recipe...
celebrate.gif
And thanks to everyone for this Learning Experience on the food... My son and I just watched our chick hatch yesterday
clap.gif
Love this place
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
HI jodyjo, I would love that seed bell recipe...
celebrate.gif
And thanks to everyone for this Learning Experience on the food... My son and I just watched our chick hatch yesterday
clap.gif
Love this place
yippiechickie.gif

I agree, I love this site! I've learned so much more about behavior and rather than a black & white how to guide, people post the different things to expect that you normally wouldn't find.

I think what I will do is call the feed store and ask why this was recommended. I don't want to waste the money that was supposed to go towards their real feed, although the thing that has saved me the last couple days is that they're happily free ranging and eating a host of pebbles, ants, earwigs, and whatever else they're finding in the dirt and underneath the leaves.
smile.png

Can't you just keep the scratch and give it to them as a treat when they are old enough? It's not really a waste of money. You just bought in advance.

Back
Top Bottom