ok, what am i missing?

beach livin'

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Manteo
girls are about 22wks. the wattles are coming in on them a little and faces are getting more flush with color....but the crest is still teeny tiny. is it a sign of a deficiency? they get layer pellet all day and i give them a treat of boss and cracked corn, and they will get random leftovers. they are not out of the run at all, but husband and i are working on a solution for that. is it something im doing wrong or maybe their breed? i also got a bag of calcium from ACE, but the more i looked at it, the more i realized that it looks more like a grit. almost like granite crush stuff, but is says its calciom for livestock. maybe ACE didnt understand what i needed. oyster season is upon us, so i figure once we go rake and bring them home, ill just try and crush them as much as possible and offer them up that way for calcium. the girls arent laying yet, so i was getting worried i was hurting them in some way.

Join the ship, mine are going on 22 weeks and
you described them perfectly. From what I'm reading,
we may have 2 to 4 more weeks!
barnie.gif

well, they are a mix breed. Guess they are mutts
tongue.png
. the roo was a RIR and the hen was a BO, so this is what we got...

beach livin' :

well, they are a mix breed. Guess they are mutts
tongue.png
. the roo was a RIR and the hen was a BO, so this is what we got...

So, my BO doesn't have a large comb compared to my BR. And instead of being red, it was more a "hot pink" at POL.

You don't need to offer them extra calcium until they begin laying. It won't cause them to lay any sooner.​

I know this is not going to make either of you feel any better but my bo's & brahmas didn't even start til 23-24 weeks & now the days are shorter.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom