Okay. I changed my mind, what do you think of this coop?

It's definately cute but i would advise getting a walk in, just for cleaning alone, seems a little small too for that many hens. Just trying to help.

That is an awesome deal in my opinion! WOW! And very cute too!
ep.gif

It looks very nice. The only problem I see is that if you calculate square feet (8x4 = 32) and assume each chicken needs 4 sq ft of coop space, then it would really only hold 8 adult standards. If that's ok with you then I say go for it!

I am going to use it for about 12 bantys so I think I should be ok.

Where????WHERE?? Where can I get one of those??????

The guy is in Columbus, MT. I never thought I would find someone close enough. He will build anything you can dream up, this is just his standard version.

Is there a good way to clean it? I mean like a nice big door in the back for easy accsess. Otherwise its awesome.

The roof lifts off for cleaning and I have asked about how easy it is to clean, but he is sending that info, along with all the others questions, in an email tomorrow. I will post when I find out.

The best part is, he takes payments, thankfully...

Since I am going to have this coop, plus an outside run that measures 20' x 24' I think it will be plenty of room for a dozen bantys. Of course, I don't know much about chickens yet, but thanks to you all, I am learning more every day! Thanks for all your help!​

Last edited:
My concern would not be just cleaning but catching birds. Wow, I don't think you *could* catch a bird that didn't hop right up and volunteer, in that space.

For that many chickens honestly I think a walk-in coop is *far* more practical.

For waht it is, it seems like a reasonable price for a premade coop, though.

Good luck,

Pat

Quote:
First of all it is a great looking coop. It's sort of a double long version of the Chick N Barn from what I can see in your picture...

BUT a coop that size is only good for 6-8 birds. Being you are in Montana and it's cold and snowy a lot they will be forced to spend a lot of time indoors, SO you want to make sure they have their own space as it were so they don't start pecking each other.

WHAT PAT SAYS is right, as cute as that is it would be tough cleaning and if you ever need to grab a bird it would be awful hard to do it.

I have 8 bantams in a 4 by 6 walk in coop and it is plenty of room for them, they also have an attatched covered (in winter) run that is 6 ft wide by 12 ft long. In the summer they free range so the run is never used then. I think its a great deal altho it would be easier to have a walk in im sure maybe the guy could modify it that way for you. I have had up to 14 in that coop with plenty of roosting space of course along with tons of roosts in the run

Cute coop...good price for a pre-made.

However - as others have said - cleaning it and getting birds out of it is going to be an issue if the only access is going through the top. You need to have some other way in.

Is there any way he can modify (since he builds them) and have the side or back of it open on hinges -and leave the top intact?

You could have the side or back flip down on hinges and the roof flip up just a bit (roof locks over the sides/back/front). Someone on here has a picture of a coop like that where the top lifts on piano hinges as do one of the sides and it works beautifully.

If that can be done, you'd be far better off in doing so.

Back
Top Bottom