Okay, I'll make it official...I'm addicted. :o}

Bobbi57

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
I've put a self-imposed restriction on myself. I have to. I cannot buy anymore chicks. I'm done. Finito. Finished. I went to the Agway today to pick up what I said was the "last" of my chicks. Some Light Brahma chicks...6 of them. I had gotten a couple of Light Brahma chicks from a friend, but one of them died early on. The survivor, quite originally named "Peep Peep" totally stole my heart, so I had to have more.

Well....I add those Light Brahmas chicks to the Speckled Sussex chicks, Gold Laced Wyandotte chicks, Dark Brahma chicks and Buff Orpington chicks that I already bought. *L* Not to mention the chicks that I have hatched in my incubator. Of course, most of those are destined for the freezer.

And, let's not talk about the fact that when I got to the Agway to pick up the Light Sussex, they had Standard Cochin chicks in a variety of colors. *SIGH* What was I to do? I LOVE Cochins. I had bought a dozen hatching Cochin eggs off of here, but only 2 hatched and both chicks died within 24-48 hours of hatching. :eek:( Needless to say, I left the Agway with my 6 Light Brahma chicks and 5 of the Cochins chicks (1 Silver laced, 1 white, 1 partridge, 1 Gold laced and 1 blue). They are straight run, so I can only hope that the majority will be pullets. We'll see.

But I can't buy anymore birds. I won't buy anymore birds. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I have a friend in North Carolina that is going to give me some Silver Appleyard ducklings...but surely they don't count, because I'm getting them for free....right?? ;o)

Bobbi
a Chicken Addict in Maryland
who has no interest in any 12 Step Program!

I've put a self-imposed restriction on myself. I have to. I cannot buy anymore chicks. I'm done. Finito. Finished. I went to the Agway today to pick up what I said was the "last" of my chicks. Some Light Brahma chicks...6 of them. I had gotten a couple of Light Brahma chicks from a friend, but one of them died early on. The survivor, quite originally named "Peep Peep" totally stole my heart, so I had to have more.

Well....I add those Light Brahmas chicks to the Speckled Sussex chicks, Gold Laced Wyandotte chicks, Dark Brahma chicks and Buff Orpington chicks that I already bought. *L* Not to mention the chicks that I have hatched in my incubator. Of course, most of those are destined for the freezer.

And, let's not talk about the fact that when I got to the Agway to pick up the Light Sussex, they had Standard Cochin chicks in a variety of colors. *SIGH* What was I to do? I LOVE Cochins. I had bought a dozen hatching Cochin eggs off of here, but only 2 hatched and both chicks died within 24-48 hours of hatching. :eek:( Needless to say, I left the Agway with my 6 Light Brahma chicks and 5 of the Cochins chicks (1 Silver laced, 1 white, 1 partridge, 1 Gold laced and 1 blue). They are straight run, so I can only hope that the majority will be pullets. We'll see.

But I can't buy anymore birds. I won't buy anymore birds. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I have a friend in North Carolina that is going to give me some Silver Appleyard ducklings...but surely they don't count, because I'm getting them for free....right?? ;o)

Bobbi
a Chicken Addict in Maryland
who has no interest in any 12 Step Program!
Sorry but there is no sure cure! Detox may help but recovery is never guaranteed. Withdrawal is both mentally and physically painful. Good luck

I have enough mental and physical pain that I'm subjected to unwillingly...I'm certain I'll pass on subjecting myself to any willingly! So I guess I will just have to limp along and resist as best I can and hope I can avoid the 'chick stores' until their "chick days" are over!

One can hope, anyway.... ;o)

Well, at least you're amongst like-minded company! :D

I have one, count her: ONE LF Cochin. Of course, I have 49 other hens of different breeds and mixes, plus 16 two week old chicks in a brooder (I hatched them on Easter), one broody hen hatched 9 chicks 3 days ago and another hatched 3 chicks yesterday.

But I need more Lolas. Errr, Cochins.

My current adult chickens consist of 5 Roosters; Oliver Wendall, a Buff Orpington; Merlin, a big, fluffy blue English Orpington with incorrect copper feathers on his neck, but we think it just makes him more handsome; Michael Kors, a big, beautiful Australorp, Rex, a gorgeous, correctly colored blue English Orpington and Mr. Fluffy, a dilute Partridge (we think that's what color he is) Silkie. I haven't named all of my hens...mainly because some I can't tell apart. My Silky hens are Zsa Zsa and Ava (both Paint girls, so we named them after sisters so it wouldn't matter if we got their names mixed up), Babette, a Partridge and Fifi, a black.

I did name the one Light Brahma "Peep Peep", but I suspect I may lose track of her once my other Light Brahmas grow up since they all will look alike. *L* But I'm sure she won't care.

I have way too many roosters right now and am in the process of building a separate pen for them. The poor hens are taking a beating. I promised a friend of mine (the one giving me the ducklings) a trio of the Australorps, so Michael Kors and 2 of his 'ladies' will be going to North Carolina in a month or so. She's also getting 2 black Silkie roosters that I have. Hopefully, I will eventually have separate pens for the different breeds that I have.

I'm totally in love with the Dark Brahma chicks. They are feathering out and are just the most beautiful little birds.

anyway....sorry to go on and on....i don't get to talk chickens much...others in my household don't appreciate them like I do. :eek:\

The crazy world of chickens .......where your chicken math is out of control & your surrounded by enablers :)

Oh, sorry - I didn't know when I was new to chickens, either. :p

LF is "Large Fowl" to indicate "standard" not bantam breeds.
"DP" is Dual- purpose, meaning pretty good layers AND with enough body mass to process for eating. Chickens considered "layers" are egg production birds, rather scrawny (said fondly) for eating purposes.

Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart at www.Ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
Is one resource I keep... Well.... Handy.

The crazy world of chickens .......where your chicken math is out of control & your surrounded by enablers :)

*L* I can handle the enablers....I've been known to do a bit of enabling myself. ;o) I've lost track of how many chicks/chickens that I have, which is probably ridiculous, but I'll get a handle on that when we finally get all of their separate coops complete and sort them all out. I have to band all of the chicks that are destined for the freezer so there is no confusion when they get separated from the rest of the group to go into the "broiler pen".

I may decide one or 2 of the breeds I have gotten aren't really for me, but they looked interesting so I thought I'd try them. Others I knew I wanted before I got them. Now I'm wondering if I should have gotten the Cochins in all one color, but it's too late for that, so we'll see how the sex ratio works out once they are old enough.

Lots of things to look forward to. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom