Okay... I'm freaking out a bit...

So, I have to drive 2.5 hrs tomorrow to get our chicks. I wasn't ordering enough to be shipped. I'm concerned about keeping them warm on the ride home. Then I just found out that it's going to drop into the 30s Friday. I have a kiddy pool set up with a heat lamp, wood shavings (horse bedding, not cedar) and straw for a brooder in my "she shed" but I'm concerned it still won't be warm enough. Do I just have chick nerves???? It's been about 6 yrs since I've done this... Why can't I remember anything???
I have the same worries. I put a digital thermometer sensor in mine and the display is in the house. I add more heat with a barn heater when needed.

The drive home should be fine as long as you're warm and they are covered.

An update on the Chicken Tenders! They are 6-week-old today!!! We moved them to their new chalet! And they are THRIVING!! We, sadly, lost one at about 2 weeks. She was an FTT. We originally ordered 11, 10 pullets, 1 Roo. We got a surprise light brahma! So, we are back to our original 11. They are beautiful, but rotten!! The Barred Rocks are the first to try everything. The Brahmas are sweet and mouthy. They are crazy for egg yolks from hard boiled eggs. Not so much for meal worms. But if you put a live worm in there... WATCH YOUR ARMS!!! Oh, and can't wear a hoodie with strings, because they grab them and attempt to run to the other side of the coop. Unfortunately, I have almost lost an eye over that fun game... 🧐 We finished the coop enough to get them in. I still have some outside cosmetic to do. And we are working on the run now. It's been chilly and rainy, so that has bought us some time. It has been quite an adventure!! And... in spite of the anxieties, they have brought much joy to us!!!!! From our homestead to yours!!! Wishing you a great adventure!!!
(The Roo was up on the perch, as he is camera shy)

Attachments

• 278725917_413634343916103_8647890424368150015_n.jpg
    278725917_413634343916103_8647890424368150015_n.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom