Okay, let me get something straight...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalloverabh, Mar 13, 2011.

1. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

..Bread is bad for ducks, isn't it? Because me and my dad have just had a row over it. He says that people have been feeding ducks bread for thousands of years without ducks being hurt, but thats not true, is it? They have been shortening their lifespan, right?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. animalloverabh

Quote:Thanks! May i ask what is considered to be a nutritional diet?

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Your dad is right.

5. animalloverabh

Now im confused.

6. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina

Now im confused.

Your dad is NOT right. Perhaps pascopol misread your post. Do some research you will find many websites like the one I gave you and none that will state otherwise.
    It is true that people have fed bread to ducks forever, like I said BUT they are not hanging around the parks to see the damage they are doing.

http://www.liveducks.com/care.html

Here
    is a healthy diet.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Bread is not bad as long as it's only given once in a while as a treat and the ducks have a regular diet of healthy duck food. It's not to be given to them every day and all day long like what happens when you go to a park. At some of the lake parks I go to, people feed them bread all day long every day and it's not healthy at all. You'll see ducks and geese at these parks with all kinds of health problems because of it.

8. animalloverabh

Thanks everyone! So is it safe to say that my dad can give them bread like, once a month?

9. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Giving them bread as a treat once in a while is fine as long as their main diet is a healthy one. I have a goose that needs meds daily and I put it in 2 very small bread balls. It is not enough bread to disrupt his daily diet.

10. animalloverabh

Quote:Giving them bread as a treat once in a while is fine as long as their main diet is a healthy one. I have a goose that needs meds daily and I put it in 2 very small bread balls. It is not enough bread to disrupt his daily diet.

Okay, thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by