Okay my chicks are 3 weeks old...

bradandcas

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Mandurah Western Australia
Hi fellow chicken friends - as mentioned my chicks are 3 weeks old, i put them out the back of a day and back under the light of a night time. Do you think they will be okay outdoors in their coop now? Or should i leave it another couple of weeks?

It about 25 degress C during the day and gets down to like 8 overnight.

Comments please?

Thanks

Brad

I keep my babies in a sheltered environment until they are about 6 -7 weeks old.
I kinda worry about draft and breeze chilling them.
.... perhaps I am just being over protective.

When they are out, do they huddle like they are cold or just move about and explore?

I guess you could tell if they are ok by watching them.

Quote:
They are in a pretty sheltered coop and they dont seem to huddle when they are outside in so it appears they are warm enough?..... They are more exploring & looking for the food trail up the run into the box.

Funny to watch
lol.png

Still not sure, but would 8 degrees C be about 40 degrees F? If so they will need a lamp at night in the coop to keep them warm. It's just because they are so young. My 3 week olds are out in my unheated but breeze free garage but they have a 100 watt light on them all the time. since it gets to about 40F at night here and only up into the 60s or 70s during the day. They do get lawn time during the day when I can sit and watch them, and it's not raining. If I have them much longer (selling this group) then when they reach 6 weeks old I will take the light away. Half because they will be old enough and half because in another 3 weeks it will be considerably warmer here.

Quote:
Okay well i found that 212F is 100C

I trialed the chicks outside in their coop during the day and they were fine in the sun running around, tho when they shade came over they started to huddle so they are back in their heated box for a bit longer..... Thanks for the advice firedove, cheers !

Brad and Cas

The chicks are out the back in their coop and seem to be living happy until this afternoon.... I noticed that 2 of the the chicks had gone upstairs to their sleeping boxes and the yellow one was left down the bottom cherping loudly?? I went into the coop and put the chick upstairs with the other ones and seemed content just makes me wonder why it didnt walk up the run by itself with the others?? Do you think there could be something wrong with the chick???

Also what else can i start feeding my chicks or should i just keep them on the chick feed? They are 5 weeks

Thanks

Brad
wink.png

No, the chick that didn't go in by itself just needs more time to learn. They are not bright. You may have to direct him for a while til he catches on.

There is a good treat chart here, but it does not tell you when to start. You will get a different opinion about this from everyone who answers. I don't see anything wrong with live culture plain yogurt even before 1 week; it helps get the good intestinal flora going. Just be sure most of their food is the chick feed.

Treat chart:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Good luck!

Quote:
The only thing that made me wonder that something was going on with the chick is that it was squatting down by itself but i guess it was trying to keep warm as the others were in a draft free environment together up in the coop..... I forgot they are dumb arses

Thanks very much for the link to the foods they can have its very informative.. Going to give them so yogurt tomorrow as a treat :)

thanks ddawn

Cheers

Brad

Back
Top Bottom