3 & 4 week old chicks good without heat lamp?

KTay11

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
First time chicken owner here so I’m sorry if this is dumb to ask. I just want to make sure I am taking the best care of the babies as possible.
I have four 4 week old chicks, and one 3 week old chick. All are mostly feathered except the 3 week old. My house stays at about 72-73. Wondering if it’s ok to leave the light off? They don’t really go anywhere under the light unless they are eating, so I just want to give them all the space possible, and I don’t have a way to raise the light. I kept it off last night and they seemed to be fine. They’re quiet now. They’re very wild when I first put them back in after cleaning it but then they quiet down and sleep. We’re in Michigan’s me the weathers been wonky but I’ll have my coop set up here soon and when the weather is consistent I’ll put them out there during the day until it’s warm about at night.

If they get cold they'll snuggle together to get warm, and if they're still cold their loud, desperate cheeping will wake you up - you did say they're in the house. No worries! Oh, and there are no dumb questions, so ask by all means. We were all new and inexperienced once, and BYC exists to help newbies learn and not make mistakes (or at least not the same ones we did, lol!). We're here to help, so, ask away! Enjoy your babies ❤️

If they get cold they'll snuggle together to get warm, and if they're still cold their loud, desperate cheeping will wake you up - you did say they're in the house. No worries! Oh, and there are no dumb questions, so ask by all means. We were all new and inexperienced once, and BYC exists to help newbies learn and not make mistakes (or at least not the same ones we did, lol!). We're here to help, so, ask away! Enjoy your babies ❤️
Thank you so much!!! I thought so, but I just wanted to be sure haha. I’m a heavy sleeper, so I’ve been setting an alarm for 2am to check on them the last few nights haha!!! Loving having these girls so far! We can’t wait to get outside though!!! Thanks for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom