Okay..so I'm not as smart as a broody hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RockyToggRanch, Mar 9, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    It's 27 degrees outside and I have a broody australorp. 2 days ago she claimed 6 eggs as her own. I didn't really want her to hatch any so I went to move her and she made the saddest little chicken face and wimper sounds. So, okay, 6 eggs...that's it. Yesterday I spent much of the day in the barn and she didn't get caught off the nest all day. I only got 1 egg from the other 8 girls yesterday...hmm.

This morning I see her sitting in one box over and my orp is on her nest in a comatose state. I picked her up and moved her to another box. I count the eggs...all 16 of them! Yesterdays eggs and maybe a couple from this morning! I marked an x on the 16 eggs and put the australorp back on them. I can't believe I let them get away with that. The little turds outsmarted me.

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Yeah. They tend to make us feel genius.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Awww the girls want babies! [​IMG] Sneaky girls!
    I have two broodies right now, they've been broody for almost 3 wks now and have been checking every day under them. I've given them two fake eggs apiece since I hope to give them day-olds next week. It's finally warming up somewhat so the next girl who goes broody will be allowed to set and hatch a clutch.

4. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    This morning my buff orp was on the nest. I picked her up and set her in the next one over and checked for unmarked eggs. When I put her back there were 2 marked eggs in the second nest! She must have had them tucked in under her wings!

If I go out this evening and find more eggs with x's then I'll be concerned [​IMG]

I hate lifting them off the nest. I feel like I'm opening the bator.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:She's determined. She has learned to mark eggs
    [​IMG]

6. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I was so amazed that she could hold on so tightly to those 2 eggs that they didn't fall out when I moved her. I know now to check under her wings before I pick her up.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    LOL. She is a good momma "NO CHICK! MY BABIES"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by