Okay, so I've never hatched shipped eggs before

Henriettta

Songster
Apr 28, 2021
Coleman, Wi
And on top of it, they're Marans. It's so hard to see in the shell. Buut, I hacked the system and was able to locate the air cells by moving a penlight back and forth & marking where the edges were. I noticed some of the air cells were a little wiggly, but not detached. As a matter of fact, I don't believe I have any that are detatched or ruptured. Knock on wood & fingers crossed.
Well anyways, I rested them for 24 hours and out them in the incubater cell-side-up.
My incubator has an auto turned, that turns every 2 hours & never lands in the same spot. I hatched a few batches from this incubator, and i never had any problems.
When is a good time, if any, to put the eggs on their side & start the turner? Or should I just do it myself for 3 weeks?

TIA ♥️

I've heard to not turn shipped eggs at all for the first three days and keep them with their cells up during this time. I have had success doing that and then turning them on their sides like regular for the remainder of the incubation, until lockdown.
Is that 3 days since the beginning of resting? Or 48 hours after the start of incubation?

I've done three days, the first one just letting them rest outside of the incubator with their cells up, and then the first two days of incubation keeping them cell-side-up in the incubator without touching them. Allegedly that helps the air cells stabilize. I've done it with shipped chicken eggs and shipped turkey eggs with fairly good success.

I've done three days, the first one just letting them rest outside of the incubator with their cells up, and then the first two days of incubation keeping them cell-side-up in the incubator without touching them. Allegedly that helps the air cells stabilize. I've done it with shipped chicken eggs and shipped turkey eggs with fairly good success.
That's what I'm on track to do, now. 24 hrs outside the incubator, and now in. I feel like that's a good/safe bet. It feels nerve-racking not turning them 😭

Back
Top Bottom