Okay, So whats up ? My hens quit laying ...

giasmom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Woodville, Al
I have 5 Br & 1 WR hen. All have been laying a total of 5 to 6 eggs a day for the past 2 months.With the exception of one that has not laid since I've had her. Now as of three days ago I'm down to 1 maybe 2 eggs a day. Here is what I know is differant.....

1) They have a new run area attached to the old run,so now they have fresh grass & bugs.

2) My dad bought a differant type of scratch feed than what I have been feeding. This new bag says Game Bird scratch feed on it, the other did not.

3) Their feet & legs don't seem to me to look as yellow as normal, this may just be me being paranoid, I don't know.

4) The one egg I got this morning was chalky feeling & looking.

5) Caught several hens on the nest acting like they were laying ,even got of the nest cackling like they laid, but did not. No eggs.

Other than these differances all else seems to be fine.They are eating and drinking good, poo is fine, walking and mingling as normal.
So whats up ? Can any or all the above make them not lay ? Whats with the chalky egg ? Is the game bird scratch bad for them ? Should I take it away from them? Is it because they are eating more grass & bugs ? Any replies or input would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

Edit for title change...

Last edited:
It could be a couple of different things. The extended run although it shouldn't really cause this may have them a little stressed so they are holding out from laying. I would also take them off of the game bird feed and get them on a layer feed instead it will help with the eggshells and laying. I'm not sure about the chalky egg. Maybe someone else will know more about that.

Are you feeding them scratch as their main feed or as a treat? If your last bag of food was layer feed (either game bird layer or chicken layer) and you're now giving them scratch, that would definitely do it. Scratch is not adequate for the hens' main food source.

Quote:
Oh my mistske I should of said, They are and have been on the same layer feed since I got them. The scratch is thrown in the yard as treats & for the roos.

Quote:
Oh my mistske I should of said, They are and have been on the same layer feed since I got them. The scratch is thrown in the yard as treats & for the roos.

If the scratch is used mainly as treat, I don't think the different brand should make a difference.

This is just a guess, but...... maybe with the novelty of grass being available all day long, they're not eating as much layer feed as they used to. The grass is good for them, but if they are eating a lot of it, they may not be getting enough protein and calcium for optimal egg laying (even with eating some bugs). You can try feeding them some scrambled eggs, cheese, or yogurt every day until they get their new run all scratched up. You can also add a dish of free-choice oyster shell to keep their calcium level up (if you don't already do that).

ArizonaDesertChicks, Thanks, & yes they also have sand and oyster shell. Maybe it is all the changes that have caused this. I'm hoping this is all it is. I can't figure out what else could cause this. I'm just hoping my girls are okay. Thats all.

Caught several hens on the nest acting like they were laying ,even got of the nest cackling like they laid, but did not. No eggs.

#5 makes me wonder if maybe you've got a few broody birds. Ditto for #3. My broody barred rock's legs went pale (and her shells AND yolks went WHITE!) right before she went broody a couple weeks ago.​

Almost any change in their lives can affect the birds. I moved my coops, run and their yard not long ago. Also I raised their coops a foot up off the ground. My birds slacked off laying for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom