Okay, that was a little...............disturbing.

warmfuzzies

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I was making scrambled eggs this morning, and I found one that was partially incubated! EEEEWWWWWWWWW
sickbyc.gif

Thankfully, there was not a chick forming yet, but there were blood vessels and two small blood spots. And the yolk was getting a white cloudyness to it. It did not stink at all, so it was not rotten.

I am not easily grossed out, so I just dipped it out and used the rest of the eggs.
duc.gif

But what would cause that? Was one of my hens sitting on it for a few days? Surely I would have noticed. Was it in the hot henhouse too long? I normally gather them twice a day, at least!

Ewwwww. Blood vessels and all? I can't imagine that could happen unless she had been sitting on it a couple of days and you missed it when gathering eggs?

Very odd.....

My aunt ALWAYS broke each egg into a saucer to inspect it before she added it to anything. She did this even after she quit raising chickens and all her eggs were store bought. I thought it was a little odd, but now I do the same thing.

We've always done the saucer thing (coffee cup, actually), and it's been many years since Mom last got fresh eggs from my Grandfather, probably 23 or so, figuring that I'm 26 and we moved away when I was 3. I always thought it was just due to a general distrust of eggs, but maybe it had roots in using fresh eggs
big_smile.png

Anyway, at least I'm in the habit already and won't run into this with my cooking XD

it's been many years since Mom last got fresh eggs from my Grandfather

Was he a good layer?
gig.gif

I've actually had this happen once or twice in the distant past with store-bought eggs. Maybe why I'm not much of a breakfast eater...​

You don't really see any veining till about three days into incubation. I did open an egg I was incubating on Day 4 once. It had veins and a tiny beating heart. Before Day 3, the yolk looks like storm clouds.

Back
Top Bottom